We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Looking for a great beach vacation spot

My wife and adult children (a total of 6 of us) are doing a 15 day trip to Italy and would like to end the trip with a couple of relaxing days sipping drinks on a beautiful beach. Is Sardinia the right place? We like white powdery sand and blue water and some of the photos I’ve seen make certain parts of Sardinia look like the Caribbean. Are there any hotels that are on the beach or have a private beach? Are we better off to go to the Italian riviera? Thanks in advance for your advice!

8 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

I forgot to include that it would be great to be able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. Thx!

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

I have not been yet, but have repeatedly heard that the beaches of Sardinia do indeed rival those of the Caribbean. However, have you scoped out the transport? I can't say I would go through the aggravation, especially with so many in tow, for only two days.

Share your itinerary, and we can suggest places that would be nice (while maybe not white sand and clear water)--also be sure to state the month (it matters!). Also share if you are relying on public transport only or open to using rental cars.

London
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Luvgoin has hit the nail on the head.

The best beaches in Sardinia are so good because they are unspoilt and well away from hotels and towns.

Unless you are hiring a car, transport is generally infrequent to absent.

For just a few days, it is not worth the hassle with children in tow.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Thanks for the reply. We’re going mid-May for 2 weeks. The kids are all adults (20s and 30s) so no issues there (although there were plenty of challenges 20 years ago!). We’re still in the planning stages, but we’re planning on starting in Rome and goong north (Florence, Venice...not sure what else yet). We’ll do southern Italy in another trip.

It sounds like I would need to rent a car in Sardinia and drive to the beach. Seems like is we want to stay in a beachfront hotel and walk to the beach, restaurants, etc we would be better off in the mainland? All your help is greatly appreciated!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,891 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

The beach season is only just beginning mid-May. If you're looking for Caribbean type temperatures as well as Caribbean type beaches I would look elsewhere.

Level Contributor
165 posts
6. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Sardinia is too out of hand (traghetto or plane to get there) and you need a car to get to the best beaches (as well as anywhere else).

Why not go to the beaches in Toscana or Isola d'Elba?

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,643 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Agree with #6. Stop somewhere between Rome and Florence. Two days os not enough to go over to Sardinia.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Looking for a great beach vacation spot

Good idea. We’ve shifted to Elba. Thank you.

Reply to: Looking for a great beach vacation spot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sardinia
Recent Conversations