We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is this place so racist towards black people???

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Why is this place so racist towards black people???

I visited here in 2018 and am still here now and have never experienced such racism towards black people!!! I am white skinned (origin no need for explanation but easily passed for being Italian myself) my husband is black, we walked into restaurants empty to be told “sorry no reservations, no table” and also to be stared at everywhere we go, people beeping their car horns as we walk down the road!!! people making comments and turning to stare!!!! Locals rude and very unwelcoming, seeing as Italy is supposed to be classy and upmarket they all were not nothing to get excited by ! I wanted to scream “you are working in a restaurant or shop on a retail salary” but I am not a snob! Saddened by the whole experience and will never return!!! Racism in this day and age is so sad and I was so looking forward to visiting this beautiful country which is indeed beautiful but the people are not!!! Just also to point out we were not naked or underdressed just normal people middle aged looking to appreciate the culture and beautiful country!

65 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
153 reviews
1. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

I was increasingly disappointed and saddened as I read your posting until I reached

" seeing as Italy is supposed to be classy and upmarket they all were not nothing to get excited by ! I wanted to scream “you are working in a restaurant or shop on a retail salary” but I am not a snob

I find this outburst possibly shows an unpleaseant side to your character that might possibly explain why you assume everyone is against you and your partner.

Certainly the behaviour you describe does not sound like anything I've ever witnessed in Sardinia or anywhere else in Italy.

2. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 April 2018, 08:05

Cremona, Italy
Level Contributor
509 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

I drop by just to say that Italians love staring at people much more than in England or any country north of the Alps. This might make you uncomfortable, but it is not to be intended as rude or racist. We just love to look at people, since our culture is very much into appearance and fashion.

I cannot add anything else since I have never been to Sardinia myself, but elsewhere in Italy I have never experienced racism towards my Asian wife.

4. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2018, 23:03

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

Idiots are everywhere. I find it hard to believe they were staring because you are black. Maybe you are just goodlooking. It’s true that Italians have no problem staring at people.

I feel the more “out ot town” you get, the more ignorance you will find.

But your comment on the job and money they make doesn’t do you any favors...you might be in the same category.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

BTW, when my mother used to live in the countryside in the Veneto region, and I visited her from USA, the “villagers” stared at me too, without even saying “buongiorno” or anything. It was weird and I didn’t like it. I would often just stare back.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
1 review
7. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

Staring is racist? Maybe in London.

Having all tables booked is racist? Maybe in London. I bet the op asked after 7 pm when all restaurants are empty because people dines at 20:30. In real italy they don't make the tourists' shift.

Portisco, Italy
Level Contributor
158 posts
8. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

This is Tripadvisor not a psychoanalysis session where do you explain your persecutory delusions. No details, no explanations about the name of the places visited, the restaurant, etc... this sounds rather vague, irrealistic and unclear. ", people beeping their car horns as we walk down the road" this sounds even more ridicolous and fake. Sardinia is a civilized place in western europe visited by over 11millions turists every year, where spend their holidays and have their villas, some of the richest and most influent black people in the word such as Rihanna, Beyoncè, Amy Stewart and Oprah Winfrey, futher other thousands black people who live in the island quietly and peacefully since decades and also dozen thousands of illegal immigrants and refugees come and saved by the wars of aggression which your country caused in Africa in the last years.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

"I bet the op asked after 7 pm when all restaurants are empty because people dines at 20:30." That was my thinking Nap, when I read this thread earlier on today.

mesh

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Why is this place so racist towards black people???

"dozen thousands of illegal immigrants and refugees come and saved by the wars of aggression which your country caused in Africa in the last years" A bit strong!!! Oh it's the UK's fault again?

mesh

Reply to: Why is this place so racist towards black people???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sardinia