We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

I'm soloing to Italy again and, this time, am staying the whole month of Feb. I've already spent lots of time in Puglia, Roma, Sicily in the south, and in the northern mountains. Fell in love with Bologna decades ago, and have booked an AirBnb 5 minutes from Piazza Maggiore. Lately in forum, Bologna has been described as grubby with beggars, but I love real cities. Too much time in idealic places is depressing.

My flight's into Bologna. What would you do? Base there and day-trip (or overnight) to Parma, Venice, etc? Or base somewhere else in the region?

Really appreciate your advice.

7 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
514 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

I think the person that posted those negative comments had some sort of "issue" with Bologna. No it is a wonderful city, best food in Italy, (in my opinion.). It will be very easy to take day trips Ferrara, Modena, Venice, Verona, Ravenna, Florence, Rimini. It is a great cental base

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
973 posts
2. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

Yeah that one poster had a vendetta against Bologna and kept making negative posts about the whole city because he was fined for riding the bus without a ticket... So don't do that! Make sure you go to Salumeria Simoni and the anatomical theatre.

London
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

I would consider spending 1 week of your month on the coast. Rimini is a great base to explore:

- Ravenna (around 1 hour train)

- San Marino (around 50 mins bus)

- Santarcangelo (10 mins train)

- Gradara (20 mins train to Cattolica and short bus/taxi ride to the castle)

- and many more: San Leo, Urbino, Verucchio, San Bartolo Park, Cesenatico, etc.

Rimini itself has a very interesting historic centre: http://www.riminiturismo.it/en/what-see

January and February are the worst months to visit the places above: the whole area really comes alive in spring (from Easter onwards), but if that's the only time you can go ...

Edited: 09 October 2018, 08:02
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,462 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

Ferrara, Modena, Parma, Ravenna would all work as day trips but Venice is a lot further, I'd suggest a couple of nights there at the very least

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
5. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

Thank you! I agree, but just wanted to make sure. The plan is to settle into the apartment in Bologna, taking day-trips and the occasional overnight here and there. Seeing Rimini, Ferrara, etc. is a big part of it. And this may sound nuts, but when I'm in places of perfection for too long, it's stultifying, Nobody's life can live up to pinch-me-it-can't-be-real surroundings. (Like when my fam and I tried to move back to picture-perfect Asheville.)

ANYway...again, thank you so much.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
14 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

We/I'll stay in Ravenna for a couple of nights. Great idea. Off-season travel to such beloved, touristed places works best, I think. I've traveled for 45 years, and the abuse of the surroundings is intolerable.

Thank you.

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.

For the smaller cities a daytrip should be enough. I mean the ones in Emilia-Romagna, but even Padova, Verona, Bergamo and other easily reacheable from Bologna by train. Of course an overnight in charming cities like Rvenna or Ferrara worth too. Venice in February is very nice and worth to stay a couple of nights. You could go there on a Sunday during the Carnival and come back on Tuesday, enjoying even the great difference between a day crowded by tourists and an evening almost desert.

About beggars: yes, in Bologna there are some beggars like in any other city. Usually are quite people, asking you for a money and going to the next person or sitting under a portico. Nothing who can spoil a vacation or a walking.

Reply to: Staying in Bologna for 1 month, using it as a base.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bologna