We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
29 helpful votes
Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Hello!

I'm staying in Bologna for 3 months and am looking for a gym that both myself and my boyfriend can sign up to during our stay. We're staying near Piazza Maggoire so somewhere central is preferred, although we're keen to get going so any suggestions are welcome. I've emailed a few places (Prime, Republic and some others) but am having trouble finding somewhere that a) responds and b) we can sign up to monthly.

Ideally, the gym would have swimming and a sauna too, but I know they can be rare to come by.

We're also interested in playing tennis whilst we're here but again, I'm having trouble getting a response from anyone and don't understand how courts/membership/booking work.

If anyone has any help or suggestions for any of the above, I'd be hugely grateful.

Many thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

A good gym could be the VirginActive. There are two ones in Bologna. The "Bologna Città" is quite close to the historical center and there are all facilities ncluded in the cost. https:/…corsi-e-servizi . Is more expensive than other gyms, but the service is usually very good. But if you go there often the montly cost diveded by several times is good. I don't remeber how much is it, but should be around 150€/month... All the lessons are included into the cost.

About tennis I am much less expert... but I believe when you will be here will be easier arrange it. Probably you will have colleagues or mates who play tennis and they can help you a lot. Or even you can ask at the gym for anybody like tennis and can help you.

Bologna, Italy
Destination Expert
for Bologna
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
177 reviews
167 helpful votes
2. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Any gym I've tried has the possibility to pay monthly (more expensive but possible), Prime has a pool in both their centres.

A for tennis try with circolo tennis nettuno not in centre but easy to reach.

Bologna, Italy
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Hi

you are having trouble getting a response because 1) the people don't speak English 2) because Gym places don't give thiese kind of information by phone or mail. I know, it is strange to understand in the digital era.

The best way to have the info is getting there.

One of the best Gym I have been is Terme Felsinee, you can buy monthly tiket, you can have sauna, Gym and Pool all in one in the city center :) A very cool place

maretermalebolognese.it/terme-san-petronio-b…

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
4. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Hi there,

My wife and I are going to attend a 4 days conference in Bologna in the first week of October 2018, does anyone know of any public tennis courts that one can hire ?

Thanks

TYG

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
37 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

After having stayed in Bologna for some months, I'm afraid to tell you we had no luck during our time there with tennis. It seems Italy mostly has exclusive tennis clubs rather than local tennis courts (at least that's what we found near the city centre in Bologna) So you have to pay yearly subscriptions instead, and the two in Bologna were pretty pricey.

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
6. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Thanks Grim for your help, looks like I might try to play some golf then.

cheers

TYG

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
7. Re: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!

Hi there,

we have just got back from one week stay in Bologna, we stayed at the AC Hotel by Marriot because it is closer to the conference area, we have accidentally discovered that there are 3 clay tennis courts just opposite the hotel and it is open to public at 18 Euro per hour, very well maintained courts and friendly staffs. So to all the tennis folks there is hope in Bologna Ciao !

Reply to: Bologna and exercise (Gym, swimming, tennis) Help required!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bologna