We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre visit questions

England, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Pre visit questions
Save

I’ve just got a few questions before my trip to Rome if anyone can help..

1. I’m flying into CIA, staying at pantheon iconic - can anyone recommend me a taxi company I can book my transfers with before I go?

2. Where is the best place to book colosseum tickets and is there anything else I should book for?

3. I want to do Trevi fountain, Spanish steps and colosseum all in one day - is this doable and what order should I do them in? What else is a must see?

4. What is the green pass? Do we need one? We both have double vaxxed certs from here in the UK - are these enough?

TIA

24 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
48 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

1 Taxi com www.romecab.com

2 Some with more knowledge than me will answer

3 Easy to do all 3 in a day do buy a guide book only you know what you like .

4 same as 2

Edited: 11 October 2021, 00:14
London
Destination Expert
for Cyprus
Level Contributor
894 posts
31 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

3. Yes, easily. As the Colosseum is timed, book those tickets for the first thing, then you have the rest fo the day for the other items with no time pressure.

4. You can't get a EU Green Pass unless youy are vaccinated/tested in Italy. Youy need to get a negative test in the UK (antigen lateral flow is fine) done 48 hours before you LAND in Italy. Some local pharmacies should be able to oblige. You will also need to fil in the dPLF (Eu digital passenger locator form). When in Italy, your NHS app showing your vaccination status SHOULD be accepted in place of a Green Pass. You'll only have difficuklty if someone doesn't know that or hasn't updated their app to scan it. Also take a hard copy NHS letter (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/) as a back up. It is free and will arrive very quickly. (Returning to UK you will need to fill in the UK PLF. You'll also need to have arranged a Day 2 PCR test before doing the PLF unless the govt has abolished the latter requirement by then which they SAY they will do for half term - and obviously as a govt promise that is totally trustworthy).

New York
Level Contributor
50,362 posts
3. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

A correction to post number one, it is www.romecabs.com (cabs is plural)

There is more to see in Rome than can be seen in a lifetime so what is a “must” for you will depend on your interests. A good overview of Rome is the DK Eyewitness Rome guidebook.

Don’t miss the Pantheon….

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,315 posts
842 reviews
1,336 helpful votes
4. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

Colosseum official website - pre-booking required (and even before COVID was highly recommended): https://www.coopculture.it/en/destinations/index.html#start-content

Vatican Museums now required pre-booking (and was highly recommended pre-COVID): https://m.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani-mobile/en.html

If there are other museums or sites you want to see, you should check if they require pre-booking due to COVID.

With respect to a taxi, your hotel may have a preferred company that it recommends, and may have a special price, so worth an email to the concierge.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
81 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

www.romecabs.com is very reliable and always on time. It was 50€...use that as a comparison...some hotels will use companies and charge you more, if that makes you comfortable to use their sponsored form of transportation, then go with that

Edited: 11 October 2021, 02:14
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
9,391 posts
109 reviews
121 helpful votes
6. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

1) In addition to romecabs.com, this transfer company are also frequently mentioned on these forums. I have experience of both & there is nothing to choose between them.

2) The best place to book your Colosseum tickets is on the official website:

https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

It is now essential, but was in any case always advisable, to book tickets for the Vatican Museums. Again, use the official site:

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en.html

Unless they have imposed Covid-related booking requirements most other museums and sites do not require booking but you should check the situation shortly before your visit in case of changes.

3) Book you Colosseum tickets first and then plan your day around that. There are no "must sees" - only things that you want to see because they interest you. You could spend months in Rome and not see it all. You haven't said how long you will be staying or what your interests are. The Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps are no more than 10 minutes walk from each other and in truth neither will detain you long. Your hotel is about as central as you could be in Rome. You can walk to the Vatican, on one side of tourist Rome, in about 30 minutes or the Colosseum, on the other side of tourist Rome, in 30 minutes. Given your location you should visit the Pantheon - a fascinating building, on your doorstep and free! Get a decent guide book (I like the the EyeWitness guides with the Blue Guide for more in depth cultural sightseeing) and see what interests you). If you like Roman sites & have the time then you might find a visit to Ostia Antica worthwhile - it is an easy trip to the outskirts of Rome.

4) Your NHS app should work in place of the Green Pass but get the NHS to send you their letter confirming your vaccine status if you have time - it takes about five days to arrive.

England, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

Thank you everyone so much for all the info

Because I’ve never been I can’t picture in my head where everything is, how far apart things are etc

I land at CIA Friday lunch time.. so expect to get to the hotel around 2/3? (Not sure about traffic etc)

Would it be feasible to go and do the pantheon when we arrive? I’ve dinner booked at la Terrazza at 8

I’ve booked jump the queue tickets for the colosseum Saturday at 3.... but now struggling to get Vatican museum tickets for the Sunday.... could I do these two in the same day on the Saturday?

Then I’m thinking, get up early and go to the fountain Sunday before it gets too busy, and do the Spanish steps at the sane time? We leave to come home Sunday eve at 6

If anyone could recommend a better way of doing things I’d welcome any advice? I think basically lists for me are colosseum, pantheon, fountain and Spanish steps and Vatican City/museums

Are taxis cheap/easy for getting around? Or should I not need them due to the location of my hotel?

Thanks again

England, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

Can I just ask, regarding this nhs letter about being double vaxxed, should I opt for an Italian version as well (not sure if you get one English and one Italian or just one of either)?

Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

You can also order a translation of the guidance notes into Italian at the same time as you order your NHS vaccination letter - if for any reason you didn't do this, the letters are all available online for download and printing off. Stick the letter and pass in a thin plastic cover and take it everywhere!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
48 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Pre visit questions
Save

You are there for a short time please skip the Vatican museum it will eat up half your day min .

A lot of people on there first visit mix up the museum with the Vatican St Peters church free entry .

I would suggest do not book anything else and just walk round the biggest museum on earth which is ROME

Edited: 11 October 2021, 21:29
Reply to: Pre visit questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.