We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento first week in may

3 posts
Sorrento first week in may
Save

Hi, just looking got some advice on what the weather is like in Sorrento the first week in May.

We are looking to visit either the first week in May or the first week in September next year, however I’ve heard august/September can be very busy.

Just wondering if anyone has visited around the end of april, start of May and if it was still a good time for doing day trips to Capri etc? Don’t want to end up getting a week of rain!

Thanks for any help.

7 replies to this topic
Ventnor, United...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

It will be very nice - daytime peak of about 20C with about 14C at night.

Maybe some rain on the Thursday...

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Sorrento Coast, Ischia, Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
10,466 posts
42 reviews
246 helpful votes
2. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

Hi

No one can predict the weather but, generally speaking, April can be rainy and it sometimes lasts through early May, then again, you might have sun.

I also like the sun and for that reason I would choose the first week in Sept for a seaside resort. August 15th is a national holiday and locals take their summer holidays either side of this date and head to the coast but the massive crowds will have died down by the first week in Sept although it will still be busy.

Cities are different and can be blistering hot especially in August/Sept but Sorrento has a cooling sea breeze.

More info below.

http://www.sorrentoreview.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Sorrento-Review-941300282728613/

My photo album below shows some of Sorrento and the area. Move your cursor onto each pic to see where it was taken in bottom left.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/eddie0/pi1707

Eddie

California
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
67 reviews
274 helpful votes
3. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

You can check historical averages by month at…

Wunderground.com

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
53,415 posts
87 reviews
83 helpful votes
4. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

Been to Sorrento the first week in May coincides with my birthday, from what I remember could of been warmer, not much rain,

Accettura, Italy
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

You might end up getting a week of rain.

Unlikely though!

What is the weather going to be like where you are next May?

Seriously, it is a good time to visit - if you want to avoid the massive crowds and silly heat of summer.

September might be a better bet for sunshine and warm seas, but I would go for May.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
60 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

We have stayed in Sorrento three times over the past 8 years.

April, 2010 – perfect weather all week (low 70's). One rainstorm overnight so nothing to worry about.

May, 2015 – three rainy days out of six (upper 60's). Umbrella and a jacket was all we needed.

June, 2018 – perfect weather all five days (upper 70's). lots of sunshine.

I have never visited in in the Fall so can't provide any help there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
397 reviews
874 helpful votes
7. Re: Sorrento first week in may
Save

Have stayed a few times in April and usually had mixed weather with mostly warm days, a couple of sunny days and occasionally sudden downpours. We only once experienced the mother of all thunderstorms that got us running into an ice cream parlour for the afternoon!

We’ve never stayed at the start of May, but imagine it a pleasant time to visit. We found a June stay our best trip for the most wonderful weather. It was pleasantly hot; perfect for exploring Sorrento and travelling further afield.

We’ve stayed many times in July and August when the weather is mostly hot, hot, hot! It can be humid at this time of year and sudden showers are welcome as they clear the air. The beginning of September continues to be hot and the town usually busy.

We like to visit in October. The weather is mostly very warm with sudden showers on occasion. It’s another good time for taking trips and enjoying the town.

On the whole, a mixture of weather conditions that we can’t predict. In the spring and autumn we pack for mixed weather. I usually add a wrap and a folding umbrella.

Check out this fantastic website-

www.sorrentoreview.com

Reply to: Sorrento first week in may
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.