We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware stealth charges by Monarch

Benidorm
Level Contributor
143 posts
Beware stealth charges by Monarch

A few weeks ago Monarch announced no debit card charges. Wow.

How fantastic. Now they have reduced themselves to the lowest common denominator of the airline industry Ryanair. The one piece of hand luggage rule has surfaced again. Most normal airlines are allowing laptops and ladies handbags or tampax holders as an addition, but Monarch seems to be reverting to the dark ages. If your handbag does not fit in the one piece system a fee of £50 is charged for the pleasure of having your hand luggage relocated to the hold.

Some little minion a relative of Michael at Monarch thought this was a good idea to raise revenue for the Xmas bonus. As this is the last bank holiday they have to strike fast. Easy to make up the difference of the free debit card charge

Does any body agree?

UK
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
139 reviews
1. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

You also only get a measly 5kg Hand Luggage with Monarch..........poor as it almost forces you to pay for hold luggage, especially for a weeks holiday !

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
2. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

Sorry that info is wrong, this from Monarch Website !!!!

Yes, you can take up to 10kg of hand baggage free of charge.

Edited: 27 August 2011, 07:43
Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
3. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

I thought they always had a one bag policy.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

I've taken a holdall with less than 10kg on a 3 month holiday.a number of times and that includes my laptop, which is a fair size and weight. Why do people need so much luggage?

An airline is there to make money and if they cannot get it upfront, then like most budget airlines do, they'll get it with extra charges. BUT if you read their literature you will see that they are all listed, and avoidable in many cases.

I've flown to Spain on Ryanair for 11 euros all in. The flight took off on time and landed on time, without any hassle. Does it get better than that?

UK
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
139 reviews
5. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

"Sorry that info is wrong, this from Monarch Website !!!!"

No, not wrong. I'm looking at my booking for Cyprus in October and it clearly states on all emails for all 4 of our flights 5kg hand baggage allowance !!!!!!!

It all depends what your flight number starts with, if you had bothered to look at the top of the Monarch page you took the quote from it clearly states "For flights beginning ZB"

Edited: 27 August 2011, 08:12
Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
6. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

Yes I am afraid you are wrong concerning flights to Spain (Benidorm Forum), all Monarch flights with prefix ZB have a 10kg hand baggage allowance

If you are flying elsewhere other than Spain the allowances may be different !!

7. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2012, 00:57
UK
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
139 reviews
8. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

The original post wasn't stipulating Spain.......was it ? It was about Monarch Airlines in general & yes by rights should be in the dedicated TA flights forum (just in case you fancied pointing that out too) Did someone get an exclamation mark for xmas by any chance ?

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
9. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

There is really no need for that sort of nasty type of response on this Forum

It is more important that the good people on this forum flying to Benidorm get correct information about current luggage restrictions, so they don't end up out of pocket ;o)

UK
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
139 reviews
10. Re: Beware stealth charges by Monarch

Nasty ?...............I thought it was quite humorous myself.

Like I said the original post wasn't about flights to Spain or Benidorm, hence my original response