We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning sights in Gibraltar

US
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
Planning sights in Gibraltar

Hello all!

I am asking for help planning a day and a half (or rather a day and two halves) in Gibraltar.

Will be getting there from Tarifa, arriving around noon. Have the afternoon, all next day and half of the day after that to explore Gibraltar.

I would like to get to the top of the Rock by cable car, visit St. Michael's Cave, the Tunnels, Trinity Lighthouse. Windsor Suspension Bridge looks interesting, and I'm not so keen on the Skywalk. Also of interest are the Moorish Castle and Mediterranean Steps.

How is it best to fit it in one day, if possible? Where should I start, where end? I tried google-mapping it, but as it's not direct point to point, I'm confused. I'm thinking that if I need to check out of the hotel at 11 am, I'll still have 3-4 hours to roam around, but would hate to do it with my backpack. Half days are probably better for the city itself. Any tips on night sights? (safe for women, not much drinking :))

I'll be leaving for Seville after that. What is the easiest way - bus, train?

And while I'm at that, if there are any recommendations for the hotels and restaurants, I'll be very grateful!

Thank you!

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
94 reviews
86 helpful votes
1. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

Hi

Seville- bus from La Linea which is the town across the border in Spain. Bus station is a few minutes walk from the border

You can leave your backpack at your hotel on your last day and have a walk around the old part of town or visit the museum which is right off Main Street

Get the cable car to the top of the Rock, walk down to St Micheals Cave, walk down to Apes Den, walk across to the Galleries and WW2 tunnels then down past Moorish Castle. Maybe fit in Med Steps after the cave and then go to Apes Den.

Yiu can catch a bus to the lighthouse and walk around there on your first half day although tbh there’s not much to do there.

Gib is very safe for solo female travellers just be sensible as you would anywhere. Enjoy!

Edited: 30 March 2024, 12:29
US
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

@Sunflower, Thank you very much! I'm so looking forward!

Would you by any chance have a recommendation for a hotel in a convenient location, that can save time getting to places? Three stars is sufficient, or four if not too pricey. Mostly looking for clean and safe.

Thank you again

US
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

I have a few more questions.

1) From another forum: "Don't go on a day when there is a cruise ship in port. The wait for the cable car can be horrendous and the place can get very crowded."

What can "horrendous" mean" 10 min? half hour? More?

I wonder if it's possible to see a schedule of cruise ships to avoid those days.

2) Can the "top part" be done in half a day - say, 3 hours?

3) and how can I best narrow down the area so that I spend minimum time in transfers "from top to bottom"? Specific recommendations are very very welcome!

Edited: 01 April 2024, 14:39
Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
37 reviews
92 helpful votes
4. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

Hotels in Gibraltar are generally expensive and there are only a handful to choose from. Holiday Inn Express probably represents the best quality to value ratio.

On very busy days the queues for the cable car can be over an hour

You can check the cruise schedule here: https://www.gibraltarport.com/cruise/schedules.

3 hours is probably enough to see the sights of the nature reserve but you may feel a little rushed.

My suggestions for your visit to the upper rock would be as follows:

1) Cable Car Single Trip + Nature Reserve ticket

2) Take in the views at the cable car top station

3) Head out of the cable car station and head down into the nature reserve

4) Stop by the apes feeding area and SkyWalk

5) Continue downhill to St Mjchaels Cave

6) After leaving the Caves continue downhill

7) At the bottom of the hill take a left and a few yards on your right will be a passage down to the...

8) Windsor Bridge which you can cross, head left downwards past the

9) Apes Den

10) Continue across the face of the rock, underneath the cable car till you reach a fork in the road

11) At this point, if you want to bail, you can take the left and head back down into town or

12) Take the right, uphill and then left towards the lookout battery, WW2 tunnels & and then continue down to

13) The Great Siege Exhibiton and Moorish Castle.

And then head down back into town for some much needed refreshments :)

US
Level Contributor
397 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

Wow, Gib_Minty, what a perfect plan! :)

Million thanks!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Planning sights in Gibraltar

Thank you for these excellent suggestions. When I purchase the cable car tix, it takes me to a site called buytickets.gi. Is this official? Can you please provide the link to the correct address to buy cable car/nature reserve tickets? Thank you Gib_Minty

Reply to: Planning sights in Gibraltar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.