We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of the Clipboard Girls

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
70,568 posts
3,788 reviews
Beware of the Clipboard Girls

Last night there was a TV report about the clipboard girls who frequent the queues at the Sagrada Familia. They carry a clipboard and ask money to build a new church. TV showed a foreign lady tourist get her purse and give them some money. So of course they now knew where she kept her purse. So one of them distracted her while the other picked her pocket.

All of these young women are trained pickpockets. Their only good cause is for themselves. Be wary of them and just say "No!".

They frequent other places where tourists go to, such as the ramblas.

These girls can be found in other big cities like Madrid. About 2 years ago I was in Madrid during Christmas time at Calle Serrano. I was with my wife and was going to enter a store. One of these girls put her clipboard in front of my face, blocking my entrance to the store. I shouted "No!" to her. She knew that I knew what she was up to. So she cursed me in Spanish and I said to her, "Llamare a la policia! (I am going to call the police)", which scared her off and she ran away.

Many of them are under 14, so the police cannot jail them. That is why the mafias use them.

Malta
Level Contributor
342 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: Beware of the Clipboard Girls

A good thing is to read the section about what to Beware when in Barcelona and never give any charity there as most times you will be targeted.

2. Re: Beware of the Clipboard Girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 16:17