We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Hi there

Just wanted to share my experience of booking accommodation in Tenerife with this company, it was the first time that I had used them, having previously used other on line booking agents, but I most often use holidays letting, who I have found are excellent.

Anyway back to http://www.homeaway.co.uk/ - we spent 4 days in a villa with a private pool in Puerto de La Cruz in February, the villa was dirty, had health and safety problems...I took photographic evidence and on my return to the UK I contacted the British owner of the property, who refused to give me any sort of refund. I then contacted Homeaway.co.uk direct who promised to investigate my complaint, three emails later , and as of todays date I have still not received any response from the company. During my initial telephone call to them, they urged me to write a review, which I did and submitted it, that was at the end of Feb, as of todays dates it is still not posted on the properties page on the web site.

So please do just be aware that negative previews don't get posted on the properties web site, as the owner has to acknowledge or confirm the review, and if you do complain direct to the company, nothing happens.

If you would like to know the name of the property that I booked then please do send me a PM and I will be happy to let you know.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

We booked a villa with another company Rental Systems and had the same problem, they ask you to review the villa , but if the review is negative they do not print it, and when you email to ask why they do not reply, so reviews are just about worthless as only good reviews get posted

Rutland UK
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
11,889 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Thank you MG and Kevo for that warning .. and very sorry to hear of your experience .. I don't suppose the company was ABTA protected ?

Sylla

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

have you put the review on here? if not ,please do an every one will get toread it.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Unfortunately they aren't ABTA protected, and the villa doesn't actually have a name only a number - so there isn't anywhere that I can actually review it, apart from the homeaway.co.uk web site itself :-( However, I will ensure that if anyone is looking for a villa with a pool in Puerto De La cruz area then they know about this particular property .

UK
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Post the address of the property if no name. Also put review on Trip Advisor and everywhere else.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Update....homeaway have just posted my review - nearly two months after I submitted it !!! how strange!!!

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

thats great but i still say put review on here so more people can see it ..

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,128 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Update.....they have now deleted my review ....unbelievable !!!!

Here's a link to the villa that we stayed in

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1010848#reviews

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Thats upsetting because it means that HomeAway must have been asked to remove it by the owners . I have used HomeAway a few times and thankfully had no problems , but your post would make me think twice about using them again !

regards Deedee

Edited: 20 May 2013, 06:45
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of booking with Homeaway.co.uk

Same thing with Rental Systems they printed our review then took it off after a few days