We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
80 reviews
European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Just been checking prices for this weekend in May 2018 and can’t believe the rip off prices of accommodation. Very disappointed. The difference between the same hotels on another weekend and this one is vast. I won’t be held to ransom so unfortunately won’t be going. Unless anyone on here knows of any hotels charging their normal rate?

35 replies to this topic
Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, Basque Country
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
296 reviews
1. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

It is true that the got crazy with the prices but have thought of going to nearby cities such as Santander? You can arrive by coach in one hour and prices could be slightly different. Try Vitoria as well. Good luck!!

st john's NL
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
2. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

This is unbelievable and a disgrace. Did the erc people take this gouging into account when they awarded this event to Bilbao. My 2 adult children and I planned this as a reunion, the stress of finding somewhere to stay is ruining the pleasure. All rooms left are over $1000/night, no Airbnb properties in the city. The train service is atrocious and the bus timetables impossible to interpret. Does anyone know if there will be dedicated coaches to and from Santander and or Vitoria?

Bilbao, Spain
Destination Expert
for Bilbao, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country, La Rioja
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Can´t argue on the prices as I live here and haven´t checked, but while it´s true that Bilbao has always been a "cheap" place for lodging, it seems they are taking advantage of the popularity of this event. Train or any other public transport service is superlative (to my undertanding), and bus timetables should be easy and on several languages, where are you checking this info? There are several bus connections daily from Santander and Vitoria with Alsa and La Union, respectively.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

They are not ripping people off, I booked a smart apartment at normal price in May last year, double bedroom and sofa bed (2+2) for £120 in the centre of town. Edinburgh was the same last year. Basics of supply and demand I'm afraid and not ripping people off. The prices have been rising as occupancy rises, no different to any London hotel or Ryanair.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Whilst in Bilbao, where would be good villages, towns or beach to stay up to an hour's drive from Bilabo. Ideally a few days east of Bilbao followed by a few day west either side of the rugby weekend.....when hotel room are a lot cheaper.

Picturesque scenery beaches etc during the day and good bars, food, lively atmosphere. at night would be perfect. ..we've had some great times with the basques in Bayonne/Biarritz areas and hope their Hegoalde(?) cousins are as welcoming.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
5,542 posts
497 reviews
6. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

KPB1873, have a look at San Sebastian. Should suit your needs.

Edited: 25 January 2018, 21:43
Stourbridge, United...
2 posts
7. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

We’re stopping in a 3 bed lodge at the Eurocamp in Noja for £450 for the week. Check it out.

Apparently there are buses to Bilbao from there

3 posts
8. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

I have an apartment in the city; 4 beds, 2 bathrooms. I can rent it out for 1000/for 4 days. 10 mins walk from the city center and also next to a park.

3 posts
9. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Castro Urdiales is 25 mins away and has buses every 15 mins. It has two beaches and has a great social scene. I have an apartment there; 400 for the weekend. The Noja bus takes two hours to get to Bibao - just so you know.

3 posts
10. Re: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018

Castro Urdiales. 20 mins by bus. Google it.

Reply to: European Rugby Cup Finals WeekendMay 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bilbao
Recent Conversations