We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
35 reviews
Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

Hi

I am looking to be visiting Spain for first time with my wife in 2019 for about 3 or 4 days and the only 2 areas that I would to see are Cordoba and Malaga. We're both Middle aged.

I have never visited Mainland Europe before so quite nervous if I am honest as I'm not much of a traveler.

The sort of things that interest us are: Historical/Religious sites/Monuments; Gardens/Scenery; Beaches; spectacular views; Main Shopping areas.

Not interested in Nightclubs/Alcohol/Partying etc! No noisy late nights for us!!

I have made a note of some of the main attractions in both Cordoba & Malaga but I don't understand the geography/logistics of the areas in relation to Airport/Public Transport & Hotels - i.e. the touristy bits. I'm a tourist so I'll try to do what the average tourist does.

So:-

1) Which Airport should I be arriving at? Seville or Malaga? Is it easy to travel between Cordoba & Malaga without booking in advance?

2) Which area should I be looking to select for my hotel (so everything is relatively close by or accessed by tram/metro etc)?

3) Transport: Most tourist friendly way to travel from location to location (I really don't like Taxis, always get scammed!)

4) Travel options from Airports - happy to pay to be collected from Airport and be dropped outside hotel (although I like to attempt the return visit on public transport so save money and enjoy the route more)

Many thanks for any advice, tips & guidance you can give me.

8 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

If it helps, Malaga Airport has more flights and cheaper options if I had to prefer one over the other

Glasgow
Level Contributor
527 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

I’m not long back from a holiday to Malaga and Cordoba.

We flew to Malaga and stayed in the area before travelling by train (which only takes about an hour) to Cordoba.

Malaga airport is linked to the main Malaga station by a very frequent and cheap/quick train service. One more stop takes you to the terminal in central Malaga - which can also be reached by the airport bus.

In Cordoba the bus/train station is about 30 minutes walk from the main sights or you can catch a local bus.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

Thanks Katy, that's a great start for me.

I like the idea of flying to Malaga Airport - getting a private Airport Transfer to hotel (Approx £15) and then walking to the main sights & sounds, but using public transport where time is important (and not to get too tired).

We won't try to cram stuff in or just see things to tick boxes. Just relax for 3-4 days, and take in the main things in the area

Is there a Metro or Tram system running through the area (a bit like in Istanbul?). We arent too high tech so hope payment can be in cash and not Smartphone Apps!

Edited: 20 November 2018, 12:38
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
71,937 posts
3,813 reviews
4. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

For Cordoba:

Use Booking.com to look for hotels and apartments in The Real Heart of Cordoba. For those making a day trip to Cordoba, the train station does not have luggage lockers but the bus station beside it has luggage lockers. A taxi to the Mezquita will cost only about 6 euros because the distance from the train station is only 1.8 km.

The best sights in Cordoba:

1. Mezquita/Cathedral - The most important architectural feature of the Mezquita are the double horseshoe arches, made of jasper, onyx, marble, and granite. There are 856 columns in the church and they seem to be a sea of arches and columns to the visitor.

2. Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos - Has beautiful gardens.

3. Palacio de Viana - The palace has important artwork and there are 12 different patios, all beautiful.

Good restaurants near the Mezquita:

1. Casa Pepe de la Juderia (Calle Romero, 3; Tel: 957-200-744).

2. El Caballo Rojo (Calle del Cardenal Herrero, 28; Tel: 957-475-375).

Shopping streets are the area around the Mezquita, Calle Jose Cruz Conde, Ronda de los Tejares, Conde de Gondomar and Avenida de Gran Capitan.

Dress code for churches: Shorts or bare shoulders are not allowed for either women or men. The Mezquita is a Catholic church.

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

Malaga airport would be a good choice, personally I would hop on the train into the city itself but if you prefer a private transfer then that is up to you.

Mode of transport will depend on where your hotel is situated, most places within the centre are easily access on foot, but say for example you wanted to go to the car museum from a centre hotel then a bus would be your best option.

Trains/buses you can get actual tickets.

Easy way to get to Cordoba is by train from Maria Zambrano station in Malaga, you don't need to book in advance but I would recommend that you do.

Trains http://www.renfe.com/ or loco2.com if you can't get on with the Renfe site.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

Thanks all!

Hamilton, Canada
14 posts
7. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

Hello

Is a day trip possible from Cordoba to Malaga ...??

Could you suggest what sights in Malaga I could include on a day trip like this

In January I am also curious if Malaga would be cold and windy

Any leads would be very helpful

Thanks

Pueblo Nuevo de...
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba

>>Is a day trip possible from Cordoba to Malaga <<

Yes

>>Could you suggest what sights in Malaga I could include on a day trip like this<<

Not without knowing your interest, take a look at the top question on the Malaga froum (full site not the app) all the info on sight/attraction tec is there.

>>In January I am also curious if Malaga would be cold and windy<<

Possibly, January is one of the colder months.

Edited: 06 December 2018, 19:12
Reply to: Initial Research: Advice Required on a trip to Cordoba
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted