We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

125 cc Scooter on B-license

4 posts
1 review
125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

Am I allowed to rent and drive a 125 cc motor bike/scooter in Spain with a EU(non-spanish) B-license (older than 3 years)?

12 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38,916 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
1. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

if you look at the back of your licence, scooters are listed as A. if you are permitted to use one, then it will show the validity date there.

4 posts
1 review
2. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

No I just got a B. I have read at some rental officeses that all I need is having had B for 3 years. Is that true?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38,916 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
3. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

simply put...if you do not have a licence to drive a scooter, you would be breaking the law. it does not matter an iota, what a rental office tells you....they are not the police.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
16,168 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

Some of the car / motorcycle rental places will often bend the rules to get extra business but if anything goes wrong ---- accident or police stop --- you are likely to be the one in trouble.

Graham

4 posts
1 review
5. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

So the wikipedia info is wrong?

”… A1

Allows for the driving of:

Motorbikes of a maximum 125cc, a maximum power of 11kW and a maximum power to weight ratio of 0.1 kW/kg

Motorised tricycles with a maximum power of 15kW.

A "B" class of licence which has been held for over 3 years allows the driving of these types of vehicle.…”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Spain

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38,916 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
6. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

if your licence does not show that you are licenced for scooters, then you aren't ! read again what is says about a B licence. it does not say that you can use a A specified bike, for which you need to be tested.

Edited: 22 October 2021, 09:42
4 posts
1 review
7. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

No of course it doesn't show any A1 on the back of my license (just B/AM), because in Sweden there is no "after having B-license for 3 years"-thing. What I wonder is what exactly does the ""B" class of licence which has been held for over 3 years allows the driving of these types of vehicle" mean? Is it for Spanish nationals only or all EU-members?

See also https://www.motorbikemag.es/tipos-carnet-de-moto-a-a2-a1-am-requisitos/

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38,916 posts
95 reviews
71 helpful votes
8. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

for goodness sake, it is as clear as day ! you need an A licence to ride anything with 2 wheels

"B

Allows for the driving of:

Cars whose weight does not exceed 3500kg and that are built for no more than 10 people (including the driver). Said cars can pull a trailer of a weight that does not exceed 750kg.[2]"

Edited: 22 October 2021, 23:41
9. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2021, 04:41

Barcelona, RN
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
10,482 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Save

deleted my previous reply as i have just seen that my brain works worse than i thought.

in Spain, since 2004, you can drive a 125cc scooter with a B license + 3 years. you can drive a 49cc just with a B license, no time needed.

does it applies to someone with a Swedish B license? i dont know. i would say that they can do it but i am not sure.

ps: on my previous reply i wrote that the reason of the B+3 was related to new EU regulations and scooters popularity in Spain but looking for info about it i have just seen that it was not the case.

Reply to: 125 cc Scooter on B-license
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.