We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

Help! I'm going crazy and even my German brother in law can't work this out.

I have two seats book for our trip from Amsterdam to Hamburg. We change at Duisburg HBF. I have seat reservations aboard IC2416. For some reason this train has dropped off all time tables. On the website Train Planner it is showing up for some reason but right next to train IC2218 which also goes to Hamburg. But this train shows that it leaves 1 minute before. Has our train changed? I'm stressing big time, phoned my travel agent and at this stage even he can't work out what is going on. Help!!!!!!!! Whaaaaaaaaa!! (crys for real)

Cheers

Del

Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
1. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

Please provide the date of travel. I have checked on Internet and there are trains with a change in Osnabruck or Duisburg

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

What's your traveldate?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

the IC 2416 is a Sunday only service, and does not run every Sunday, but indeed the other train the IC2218 is running, but from what I can see it runs later than the original train so you should be fine.

Im also confused on your journey, as the ICE from Amsterdam arrives at 12:32, roughly in an hour before IC2218 or 2416 which leave after 13.40.

Nevertheless, its nothing to worry about. If the rail company mess up your connection through delays or messing with the timetable, then you can simply go on alternative trains, even on an alternative routing if necessary. No formal proof is needed, but maybe print out the info from the timetable planner to show that the train is no longer running to save the train conductor having to do this himself (should he or she be inquisitive and want to figure out what is happening)

Edited: 20 April 2017, 20:02
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

Hi Sorry for my omission....

I'm travelling on Sunday 14th May. We leave Amsterdam on ICE 123 at 10.37 and arrive in Duisburg HBF at 12.32. Then our connection is IC2416 at 13.42 arriving Hamburg HBF at 17.05. The confusion all began when my brother in law asked for my train so he could see what platform it would arrive on and when I went to look...... I couldn't see the train. I know, I know.... it's a long wait at Duisburg for the connection, I asked my travel agent to do that on purpose as I stress easily and didn't want a 10 minute change over! I'd rather wait than stress about "what if's" .... I've never travelled by train through Europe like this before, we are travelling by train from Vienna to Lucern, Lucern to Lauterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen to Amsterdam and then the final German leg. It's caused me so much stress that I've spent more time on the train journey and accomodation than I have on what we are actually going to do when we reach these places. Next Holiday..... a cruise sounds nice. With my luck the ship would have an outbreak of gastro!!!! LOL!!!! Thanks for your help lovely people!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

so theres actually no problem then as you still have a direct train running from Duisburg and still have over an hours wait for it. No need to panic.

What you now don't have is the old seat reservations on the train from Duisburg to Hamburg as you no longer are travelling on that train which you are originally booked on.

Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
6. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

I have checked on the train planner in Holland and this schedule was proposed

10.37 with ICE 123 to Duisburg Hbf and leave at 13.56 with the IC 2218 and arrive in Hamburg Hbf 17.30

Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

I am persistent that's for sure! I finally found it showing up on the SNCF website. There are two trains leaving Duisburg that day for Hamburg on my time slot, the 2416 at 13.42 and the 2218 at 13.46. Looks like they just run an extra train for the direct routes into Hamburg on Sundays as when I look further down on the SNCF timetable, there are other double ups a couple of minutes apart later in the day as well. Thanks for your help, I appreciate that people go to the effort to try and help others.xx

Saarbrucken, Germany
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

I would not rely on the SNCF information. It is a German train after all, so it seems much more likely that the information in the German system (bahn.de) is correct, i.e. there has been an update that may not yet have reached the SNCF. Having said that, I can find both trains on bahn.de - IC 2416 departing at 13:52 and arriving 18:07, and IC 2218 departing 13:56 and arriving 17:30. As IC 2416 departs earlier, but arrives later, it is not shown in the normal search; I looked at the arrivals board for Hamburg Hbf.

Obviously, I do not know the reason for that. It might still be a mistake on the website, but I do not think this is very likely. Still no reason to stress out. If the situation is really as shown on the web site, you can probably get your reservation exchanged (probably easiest to deal directly with Deutsche Bahn for that), or just take IC 2416 despite the delay. As few people will find the train, given that it does not show up in many connection searches, it might be quite empty :-)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,752 posts
9. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

The departure of the IC 2416 changed to 13:52. It is not shown if you search for a connection because the IC 2218 departing at 13:56 is earlier in Hamburg. And the timetable shows only the fastest connections by default.

Departure board for Duisburg Hbf showing the IC 2416 dep 13:52 from track 11

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/en…

10. Re: Help!!!! Something very weird is going on with my train!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2018, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Duisburg