We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurobuzz phone

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
31 reviews
21 helpful votes
Eurobuzz phone
Save

Hey folks,

We have a lot of travel to Europe planned for the next few years and need to think about a phone to use while there. We have Sprint service in the US which will not work unless I swap out our phones and change to Sprint's rather expensive international plan.

Does anyone have any experience with Eurobuzz flat rate phones? The reviews look good but something feels too good if you know what I mean.

We are not anxious to start a new cell phone plan and many of the disposables and rentals strike me a bit pricey.

Thoughts, experiences?

Mark and Nita

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
29,125 posts
2 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

I recommend you purchase a French mobile phone if you plan on staying in France.

Virgin Mobile for example sells a mobile phone, a SIM card and minutes included for under 30€. Incoming minutes are free. There are Virgin Mobile throughout France.

Phonehouse also has similar plans:

http://www.phonehouse.fr

Luberon Provence
Level Contributor
287 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

try these people, i use them

http://www.zeroforfait.fr

w.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,400 posts
53 reviews
63 helpful votes
3. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

Eurobuzz is not something I have seen here before. I will have a look for my interest but I am afraid I won't be able to advise you.

Lots of people from USA use Verizon. Or if you have an unlocked triband or 900/1800 phone, you can purchase a SIM card in France to use in it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,194 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

Have a look at http://www.callineurope.com

For 60 bucks they'll deliver a phone right to your door.

Calls per minute are less expensive than most pay as you go phones and they bill right to my credit card so I never run out of minutes.

They are based in the US and have always been a pleasure to deal with when I've had a question or needed to make changes. I've used the phone on 2 trips to France and one to Greece and it's worked flawlessly.

Rob

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
31 reviews
21 helpful votes
5. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

Thanks all, lots of options to consider.

Our current mobile provider is a CDMA network so my option is limited to buying a new phone with international service through them or picking up a cheap disposable or two.

Normally I dont carry a phone on vacation, but this trip we are taking my folks and another couple along so some communications would be nice.

I appreciate all the input, you guys are an invaluable asset.

Mark and Nita

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

I used to use Callineurope, but I switched to Eurobuzz for my last trip.

I was annoyed with the hidden charges that callineurope apply - for instance they wanted me to pay a fee just to keep my account alive ($40 I think).

Enjoy Avignon!

L

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8,194 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

True, CallinEurope recently started to charge to keep the phone in service but I see EuroBuzz has a rate of 79 cents a minute versus CiE's 39 cents.

Eurobuzz also charges the same 79 cents for incoming calls which neither CiE nor other European carriers normally do. So you're basically paying more than double what you'd pay for a CiE phone.

I'd rather pay a 20 dollar charge than pay double the per minute rate AND get ripped off for the same 79 cents a minute for incoming calls!

Rob

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

I just purchased 2 Eurobuzz phones to use during business and holiday trips to Europe. I have used them in the UK, and will use them in July in the Netherlands. The experience to-date has been great. I turned the phones on when I arrived at Heathrow airport, and they connected to the cell towers immediately - no problem throughout the 12 days in the UK. When I returned home, I checked my attached credit card, and the billing from Eurobuzz appeared within 5 days.

There are no additional charges once purchase is made, even if the phone stays idle for months at a time. You only pay when you use the phones. I would highly recommend them.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
1 review
9. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

I've just been using http://www.eurobuzz.com/ and would definitely recommend them. The service worked great while I was in Europe and the charges for calls might be slightly higher but the quality of the line was much better than others I've used beforehand. I've just been to France and all their rates are on their site and was much easier to estimate the cost than all the extra hidden charges I've found elsewhere. MalachiUri did you use Eurobuzz too, or did you try one of the alternatives?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
12,714 posts
10. Re: Eurobuzz phone
Save

The bigger French Post Offices ( La Poste) now offer a great range of 'pay as you go' mobile phones, which you can top up all over the place - as well as SIM cards (if you have an unlocked phone) . These are perfect for tourists and will be much cheaper than using your own phone for roaming.

Another tip - you heard it here first - is to buy a phone and service from the very competetive Monaco Telecom. You don't have to go to Monaco to get one- although you can - but can order on line. Apart from the cachet of having a Monaco phone number you get cheaper calls!

http://www.monaco.mc/Pages/Accueil/nos_boutiques/boutique

Ed

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.