We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
551 reviews
314 helpful votes
warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

there seems to be much confusion

-- antigen tests -- yes you can get them in most pharmacies. You may need one before returning to your country.

BUT - i would be wary of having this done at the start of the trip as a way to get a 72 hour pass to use in restaruants/muesums etc. IF You test positive (even a false positive) then your trip is over, you must quarantine etc.

--QR codes/conversion/pass sanitaire

anecdotally "some" people have had luck. Do NOT rely on this . the same rumors were floating around when I was there in August. I contacted over 20 pharmacies (Paris, Nice, Antibes) and NONE would do it

13 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
28,942 posts
95 reviews
72 helpful votes
1. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

>>IF You test positive (even a false positive) then your trip is over, you must quarantine etc.<<

On the other hand, if you test positive and it's not a false positive, you've potentially saved lives by quarantining. And if you test negative (which the vast majority do), you get to enjoy indoor dining, museums, etc.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

The conversion by pharmacies is now a government-sanctioned procedure. Last summer, it wasn't. It's not a rumor that pharmacies will be doing the conversions, although the implementation is yet to roll out.

Your experience of last summer was a case of a few pharmacies doing conversions without the weight of government policy behind it, so there was no uniformity -- some pharmacies would do it, some would not. Even now, pharmacies will have to opt in to the process.

I think people who are following this issue are not confused, though there certainly are uncertainties about how quickly the new system will get up to speed. Understandably, some people who are in limbo -- waiting for pass application approvals -- have resorted to work-arounds -- e.g., successfully falling back on applying by e-mail, as was dome before the online portal was created.

All that said -- yes, it seems that many people have had good luck getting into some public venues with using their vaccination cards. Seems to me that getting a pass beats relying on good luck, though.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

My friend spent a week in Paris last week.

He and his bride used their CDC Card for entry into everywhere.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

@4 Blaze, glad your friends were admitted everywhere. We're going later this month & have passes, with QR codes scanned to the TousAnticovid app. I think we'll be using our passes most of the time, but we may just show the CDC cards a few times to see what happens -- which is probably what we would have done most of the time if our applications had not been approved.

I also have friends who had nearly 100% success with the vaccine cards. But there are a couple of my wife's "must see" places where I'd not want to risk being turned away -- and glad it's a zero risk with the pass.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
551 reviews
314 helpful votes
5. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

Tmac you’re saying it is now a law that at some (unknown) point in the future, pharmacies will have to convert?

Then my advice still stands for those traveling before that mystery date. They shouldn’t rely on pharmacies.

Also, the idea of getting the antigen test for a 72 hour pass is risky as above.

Rennes, France
Level Contributor
9,093 posts
17 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

The official list of pharmacies offering the conversion from vaccination certificate to pass sanitaire is available here : https://www.sante.fr/obtenir-un-passe-sanitaire-en-cas-de-vaccination-letranger#p4 This is a government website and now the legal procedure to obtain a QR code if you have been vaccinated outside of the EU. That is not a lot but there is enough choice if you arrive in Paris. I expect the list will grow a bit.

I don't quite get the notion that if you test positive your holiday is ruined. If you are infected and keep on walking about normally then you may ruin the life of many other people.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
7. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

@ 5 I'm not just saying it. There are several threads that spell out what's going on in great detail. The policy is being rolled out now. There are some approved pharmacies, right now. Pharmacies don't have to convert; instead, they must opt in to be eligible to do so.

The health ministry page at this link provides a map of approved pharmacies: https://www.sante.fr/how-to-obtain-a-french-health-pass

I agree there is a risk of a false positive antigen test (low though it is) &, as I've said, it's apparent you can be admitted to lots of places without a pass.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
551 reviews
314 helpful votes
8. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

Tmac I believe you. I didn’t say it’s just you saying it. Point is, it’s not rolled out fully yet. People who are going in the next few days or weeks cannot rely on the pharmacy option.

Soph- you are implying that all tourists must test every 3 days, even if vaccinated. That’s beyond what’s required.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
9. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

We are also visiting Paris later this month.

Anyone know where to obtain an antigen test for the return back to the US?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
446 posts
61 reviews
35 helpful votes
10. Re: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Save

@ 8 Yes, folks going in the next few days may not have many choices. As I mentioned, we are going in the next 10 days, and if we had not gotten approved in time, I expect we would have tried to use the CDC card for most of our stay. And I'm sure we could have a great time if that were the case. But, we'd need a test to return to the US, anyway. So, we probably would have left any venues that required a Pass to near the end of our stay, using the (hopefully) negative test as our pass. We were lucky & have passes in hand.

Reply to: warning about getting a health pass in a pharmacy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.