We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - big summer sale?

Superior, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping - big summer sale?

Traveling to Paris August 13-16th. Wondering if that is too late for the big summer sale and also looking for recommendations for shopping that won't break the bank. Clothing for women and children mostly. Also souvenir suggestions are great too! Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping - big summer sale?

Dpam and Sergent Major are both great for kids wear at a reasonable price. We stock up for our grandkids at those places and they have had cute stuff that we can't get in the US. Monoprix has cute baby and toddler clothes but they are not inexpensive -- about the same prices as the previously mentioned shops. The sales are strictly time bound, I don't know that the exact dates have been announced yet for summer but I suspect they are over before mid August; they are usually timed before the big French vacation period in August.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping - big summer sale?

Best info I can find is that you'll miss it by about 5 or 6 days. Les Soldes 2017 Summer sales Paris June 28 to August 8, 2017

Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping - big summer sale?

I don't think those sales ever run into the middle of August in Paris. It's not that big a deal, it's just like end of season or other sales in US dept stores that happen all the time. And it's leftover stuff, so even if you were there while it was still on, only the dregs would be available by the end of the period. Why would you want summer clothes, anyway.

They do go longer in some other places, like the Alpes-Maritime and the Pyrenees and Corsica, until Aug 15-22nd. But in Paris and the central area, plus PRovence, they only go until Aug 8th, that is correct. they announced them a long time ago, I think they've even announced them for winter and next summer (until 7/31 in Paris in 2018).

Depends what your idea of cheaper clothing is, the cheaper clothing in Paris is no particular top quality, and not likely made in France (eg, C&A dept store is cheaper than Monoprix, in my experience, but it isn't even a French store, not that this means that much nowadays). If you want seconds stores, go shopping olong rue Alesia in the 14th, for example, or around St Placide metro stop to the west of rue de Rennes.

Edited: 01 May 2017, 10:19
Paris, France
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping - big summer sale?

Hello,

Your travel will not be complete if you will not experience the French summer sales in 2017

All summer sales dates in france :

http://www.1001-soldes.com/dates-soldes.html

This year the annual mega sale begins on June 28, 2017, and will continue up to August 8, 2017. This sale is probably going to last for more than a month and is expected to attract at least a hundred thousand customers from different parts of the world.

My recommendation for shopping that won't break the bank : the Forum des Halles (1st Arrondissement)

Renovation is now finished and this is a must stop for shopping. Inside you'll find 180 shops and retail outlets on five levels descending downward.

Have a nice trip

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,522 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping - big summer sale?

The savings are spectacular if you can get what you want. Years ago I was shopping for clothes for an expected grandchild and had been browsing at several stores and found really gorgeous things at Galleries Lafayette (this was before I discovered Dpam and Sergeant Major and several other children's shops) When I finally made my choice and went back the summer sales had started and the little outfits I had chosen were half price. I bought both of my finalists as they were not affordable and I didn't have to just go with one. The difference between French and US sales as far as my experience suggests is that they are actual regular merchandise not junk brought in to be on sale that was never expensive to start with. I used to work retail in the US and there were racks of junk that would be brought down for big sales; it was not the stuff on sale day to day.

Reply to: Shopping - big summer sale?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted