We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Manchester

3 posts
One day in Manchester
Save

Hello. I'll be visiting for one day. In the morning I'll see the Grayson Perry exhibition, then would like somewhere nice for lunch- outside seating a must and preferably not too busy an area. Would like to have a potter about, see and get a coffee later in the afternoon before driving home to Bham. Can anyone recommend a leisurely itinerary please? Is it worth a trip to Media City? I am happy to drive out of the city centre if nevessary. Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
1,194 reviews
1,492 helpful votes
1. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Manchester has a enormous range of cuisines. It depends what you would like to eat. In terms of media city. Nearby you have the lowry Centre to visit and the art gallery, Imperial War museum north both of which are free. Also Ordsall Hall. Not far away is Old Trafford football stadium home of Mufc. Also not far away are the dubious pleasures of the Trafford Centre which has a, Sea life centre and Lego discovery centre.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
1,194 reviews
1,492 helpful votes
2. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Plus whilst at the Manchester art gallery you are on the edge of Manchester China Town.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

"I am happy to drive out of the city centre" - i'm sure you will be, most people are! But why are driving IN to the centre? Where are you coming from?

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
17,645 posts
42 reviews
109 helpful votes
4. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Welcome to the forums Patti.

<< Can anyone recommend a leisurely itinerary please? >> there's too many options, recommendation would depend on how much time you have between get out of your car and getting back into it; and also your interests

<< Is it worth a trip to Media City? >> very much so (again interest dependent). Park in the Lowry Shopping Mall multi-storey all the time you are there. (But IMO ignore that mall - underwhelming. We just use their carpark only).

Couple of mins stroll to Lowry Art Gallery; superb, free; donations welcome. Do watch the Lowry video 'before' seeing his paintings.

Walk 3-4 mins across to the plaza where BBC is located, interesting area that you will probably recognise if you watch BBC. Tucked away near tramstop is Blue Peter Garden, much smaller than I expected.

Then walk 7-10 mins across the wonderful bridge to Imperial War Museum North, free entry. Sensational architecture, look at it and its surrounds carefully to understand what its about. The museum is so much better than it sounds, a gem. Thought-provoking, especially when the whole inside turns itself into a 10 mins sound & video presentation (happens about every 60-90 mins, can't remember).

When walking back across that bridge towards your car, look back over your L shoulder and glimpse from a distance the Coronation Street scenery at ITV.

And, as has been said, between city centre and Media City you will be driving past Old Trafford. Maybe park up there (free) and walk around it to see the statues (Best, Law, Charlton + Sir Matt + Fergie. Also look at the Munich Clock and Plaque and walk down the Munich Tunnel to see the displays there.

Worth it ? = Yes, you could spend almost a full daytime of tourism & culture in that area.

Edited: 31 May 2021, 08:20
3 posts
5. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Wonderful. Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to it.

3 posts
6. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Wonderful. Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to it.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
1,194 reviews
1,492 helpful votes
7. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

If you went to Rusholme you could get a Pakistani curry or a middle Eastern meal. Not far away is the Whitworth art gallery which is also well worth a, visit.

Stoke-on-Trent...
Destination Expert
for Stoke-on-Trent
Level Contributor
434 posts
706 reviews
321 helpful votes
8. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

Two places I can recommend in the city centre: John Rylands library on Deansgate - incredible gothic architecture and has been used in TV progs and films - plus Chethams (music college) library over by Victoria train station - there is a sort of small alcove which they leave undisturbed as it was the place where Karl Marx sat down and started to write the communist manifesto. A bit quirky I know but nevertheless interesting. Also look for the plaque on the postbox/letterbox next to M&S + Selfridges, it was the only item left standing when the IRA bomb decimated the city centre 20+ years ago.

United States
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
9. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

I know Manchester has changed a lot since I was last there, but once when I was wandering around between trains I happened upon the John Rylands Library, which I also highly recommend. When I was there they had a small exhibit on Mary Gaskell, who I don't think I'd ever heard of before. It was fascinating, I bought a copy of the monograph they sold in connection with the show, and ended up reading many of her books. I understand a house in which she once lived has since been turned into a small museum. I have it on my list for a future visit to Manchester.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
1,194 reviews
1,492 helpful votes
10. Re: One day in Manchester
Save

I think you are, thinking of Elizabeth Gaskill who has a, house you can visit. It is on my to do list.

Reply to: One day in Manchester
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manchester
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.