We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

Level Contributor
28 posts
Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

We will be leaving Derby to drive to London and I am hoping to find one or two stops along the route for us to explore. Any suggestions? (We have just one day to make the trip)

14 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

Driving into central London (rather than, say, Heathrow) is not something one takes on lightly, where in London are you trying to reach; driving and parking in central London would be a triumph of optimism. Understanding your intent will help, but in the meantime had you thought of the Train?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

The obvious route is to take the M1 but that doesn’t give you many opportunities to make a couple of stops

How about leaving Derby via the A38 and picking up the M40

It’s not going to take much longer overall and you are not in a hurry anyway

It offers Stratford upon Avon, Royal Leamington Spa and maybe part of the Cotswolds and Oxford

If going to Oxford use the park and ride.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 18:31
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

If you travel down the M1 ther are sites such as Woburn Abbey and the City of St Albans founded in Romans times, Bletchley Park site of the WW2 code breakers is just off the M1 that you can visit.

But it depends on what interests you, if you give us a clue nature, history, architecture, military museums, zoos then we can give you more ideas.

Edited: 31 July 2018, 18:50
Level Contributor
28 posts
4. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

Those are all great ideas. I will look into all of those suggestions. Thank you!

We are driving into London to fly home the following day. I know Manchester is closer to Derby but it saved us a few hundred dollars flying out of London instead so that’s why we will be driving there. We will be returning the rental car and staying at an airport hotel that night. Is it really very awful driving into London? Or is it something you think we’ll be able to handle? Is driving out of London any better? We are spending a few days in London and plan on getting the London Pass and just using public transportation but then we will be renting a car in London to head out to Swindon to do Bath and the Cotswolds before we head up north. Your comments about not taking the driving into London lightly have me worried now!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

If you need to park the car in London that can be very expensive. Also factor in the Congestion Charge. Driving in / around London can be quite slow with heavy traffic. I'd suggest having a good Sat Nav (that you can work!) if you do go for the driving in London option.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

>Is it really very awful driving into London?<

No, it's not. It's the same as driving in a big city in the US or Europe. The issues will be that you will have to remember to pay the congestion charge (if you enter the congestion charge zone) and parking can be expensive. However, you mention that you will be staying at an airport hotel so it sounds like you won't be driving into London at all.

Unless your flight is very early the next morning, staying in Windsor would be a more interesting alternative to an airport hotel. A taxi from Windsor would take about 15 minutes to the airport.

Level Contributor
28 posts
7. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

Thank you! You’ve made me feel a bit better. I will look into Windsor. I have never heard of the congestion charge. How do we pay it if we enter one?

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
5,678 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

Only applies to central London:

https:/…congestion-charge

Your bigger concern if driving into central London would be parking. During the week it is very expensive.

Level Contributor
28 posts
9. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

We plan on just going straight to the rental car place to give the car back so we shouldn’t need to park anywhere.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?

"We are spending a few days in London and plan on getting the London Pass"

You need to do the maths before buying the London Pass - check what the entry costs are for the attraction, checkout the section above right re the 2-4-1 deals that may be available, and be realistic about what you will actually have time to visit. Bear in mind also that most of London's world class galleries and museums, such as the National Gallery, British Museum & V&A, are free to enter and will also take time.

Reply to: Any good points of interest on the way from Derby to London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Derby