We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in derby

Iligan, Philippines
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
living in derby

hi! just got a job offer from the Derby Teaching Hospitals NHS, I'd like to ask what Derby is like. The cost of living, the people in general, and its tolerance to diversity, also is there a Filipino community there? Thanks

5 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
1. Re: living in derby

Hi Mary,

Me and my family moved to Derby a couple of years ago. We used to live in Surrey and we found living in Derby is cheaper than anywhere near London. And you get more from your salary here than in London, considering the cost of housing, food and travel etc.

I also work in Royal Derby Hospital and is very happy with the team I am working (day case theatre) as well as the overall attitude of people here towards Filipinos. Unfortunately, I haven’t met any formal Filipino Community here that promotes events (Christmas, Sportsfest etc) unlike the one we had in Surrey.

I do hope you enjoy your new job as RDH had a good passing rate in the OSCE and I have met new staff here who recently came from Phils and have spoke to them about it.

Hucknall, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: living in derby

This is off topic but Lloyd I was at Royal Derby on Tuesday, at Day Surgery! And everyone was really, really friendly. It was my first experience as a patient in hospital for about 20 years and it was a really positive experience. 😊

I can't comment on living in Derby but I've been to Derby quite a lot and it's a nice enough city. Plenty of nice bars and restaurants and very well-connected by train to pretty much everywhere.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: living in derby

Mary asked back in May. I suspect she either can answer the question herself by now, or it’s no longer relevant...

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
707 reviews
4. Re: living in derby

The Filllipino embassy might well be able to tell you if you wrote to them. Maybe you could do a google search for Derby on Fillipino shops and restaurants we have a fillipino shop in Stockport. Maybe do a search on facebook for fillipino groups in the UK?

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: living in derby

Cost of Living - best bet is to check a house moving type app to check house prices and rental prices.

Areas with good schools are Mickelover, Littleover, Chellaston and Allestree but living costs are higher in those places.

The town centre isn't very big but people here seem to prefer that as they're happy to go to Nottingham instead.

Derby has all the usual big name supermarkets and amenities required. A diverse population also means you'll be able to find a range of cuisines and fresh ingredients from the various ethnic supermarkets in town or Peartree and Normanton.

The Kingsway retail park near RDH has a TK Maxx, M&S Food, Boots, Smyths Toys and Sainsburys.

Reply to: living in derby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Derby