We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaelic Football or Hurling?

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Gaelic Football or Hurling?

Hello.

I will be visiting Killarney the second week of June and am interested in attending a Gaelic Game so I have a few questions.

Football or hurling? Is it true all players are amateurs? Is there a premiere league? Are games played predominantly on Saturday or Sunday? Where do I get the list of fixtures for June?

Thanks to all in advance.

Meath, Ireland
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Gaelic Football or Hurling?

hi there

In kerry football would be the most popular, yes it is an amatuer sport and no there is no premier league, In June you will be there for the start of the Championship, which is the biggest competition in Ireland and it runs through the summer to win the All-Ireland(Sam Maguire Cup) which Kerry won last year. The fixtures havent been annouced yet but you can check it out on www.hoganstand.ie or www.gaa.ie. You wont need to book in advance, you would just get tickets on the day or pay at the gate. Sunday would be the main day for games.

enjoy your trip and hope you enjoy our game

UK
Level Contributor
655 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Gaelic Football or Hurling?

You can always tell when the all Ireland is on - many houses have the county flags out, there is such a buzz generated, it is great when you travel from one end of Ireland to the other to see and here the excitement

Ireland
Level Contributor
679 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Gaelic Football or Hurling?

The football Championship will have started in June. This Championship, which captures the hearts and minds of many people in Ireland involves "counties" playing each other, initally within their province, and then nationally.

The Munster Champions will be in full swing in mid-June. Matches are generally held on a Sunday. It may be difficult to get a ticket, depending on the popularity of the team. In addition, because all the counties in Munster will be involved, the matches may not be in Kerry.

However, if you are less interested in a big game, there are club matches on as well. Almost every parish in Ireland has a GAA club, and there will be, I am sure, a local game on a Sunday.

As a previous poster suggested, www.gaa.ie has the national fixtures. If this doesnt work out, the owners of your B&B, a local pub owner or the local tourist office will be able to tell you where you can catch a game.

Enjoy our national sports! they are so unique, and a rich part of our culture- and great entertainment too!

Get answers to your questions about Killarney