We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway and Limerick

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
120 reviews
Galway and Limerick

Hi everyone, we are a professional couple in our early sixties (well he is, I'm younger!). We will be travelling from Dublin to Galway and Limerick by hire car for 7 days from 27 December this year.

Apart from wanting to see Lough Corrib, Ballynakill in the Galway area and Limerick (for family history reasons), we'd be grateful for any ideas about routes and what is best to see and stay. Also any tips for excellent guide books would be welcomed. We love food, the idea of local produce, the odd warm pub with a fire and Guinness. Since we will be looking at family history while there, are there any tips of good museums or family history centre where we could go and get equipped with additional information that might make the trip more worthwhile (even if this is in Dublin)?

Thanks for any advice.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Galway and Limerick

At that time of year you are definitely best sticking to the cities, and everything will need booking in advance as far as accommodation goes, most Band Bs will be closed between Christmas and New Year. Expect around 8 hours of daylight on a good day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Galway and Limerick

Thanks for that. Yes, I guess coming from Australia we don't think about the light as we have too much of it!

Good tips. We may be better at AirBNB self catering then or pubs for accommodation.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Galway and Limerick

Whatever accommodation you choose have it booked in advance!!

And when I say 8 hours of daylight on a good day, on a bad day it sometimes doesnt seem to get light at all.

Hopefully you will get some better days. Bright and frosty.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
4. Re: Galway and Limerick

For local food artisans in Limerick city head for the

"Milk Market" open every Fri & Sat.

Family History head for the library in the Granary building close to the milk market

For a small fee the library will do a name search online.

In Dec, daylight is only 8 hours long 08:30 - 16:30

and bring layered clothing. enjoy.

Edited: 08 August 2016, 19:16
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: Galway and Limerick

I would suggest you do your family history search before you leave.

Actual databases are short in supply but there are some excellent resources there to help you search. Many of the genealogy places will be closed until the 3rd January at the earliest.

This site has lots of indirect information as well as a database of those buried in Mount St Lawrence Cemetary https://www.limerick.ie/archives

Do you want to PM me the names you are looking at and when they left Ireland and I can possibly direct you?

Regarding pubs with warm fires and Guinness - you won't find that many with fires in the city, even if they are warm. But they will all be packed until about the 3rd January.

I don't know if you are familiar with pantomime. But its a tradition here at Christmas. Limerick Panto Society always put on a marvellous show in the Limetree Theatre in Mary Immaculate College. Limerick Panto Society is produced and populated by very talented local amateurs. Their website hasn't been updated since the end of the last Panto but it will give you an idea http://www.limerickpanto.com/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Galway and Limerick

Thanks very much for offering to help! Great advice.

We've already done much research on the Limerick family. Sylvester O'Halloran a surgeon and author was 4 times great grandfather of my partner. I understand he is buried at Kileely cemetery and there is the footbridge in his honour in Limerick. My less famous relatives named Birmingham are from Ballynakill in Galway. They left for Sydney In the 1850s. Love the idea of the panto. Will check that out. Thanks!

Edited: 09 August 2016, 08:45
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,986 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Galway and Limerick

Ah. OK. :o)

If you go into the reception are of St John's Hospital (not the A&E, the one further down near the turning point in the car park) you will see a bare wall behind the desk. This is part of the original hospital.

The County Hospital is now Limerick College of Further Education and Limerick School of Music. Its on the opposite side of the road to the Jail.

Coppabella...
Level Contributor
1 post
58 reviews
8. Re: Galway and Limerick

We're coming for a 12 night holiday in March and I'm very much looking forward to Dingle and the surrounding area.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,398 posts
9. Re: Galway and Limerick

@huwakibe:

Regarding your own Birmingham (surname) ancestors -

The old format of today's Ballinakill seems to have been Ballynakill.

Historically, there were three Civil Parishes (roughly corresponding to Protestant Parishes, back in the day) named Ballynakill in County Galway.

One was near Letterfrack in Connemara, west Co Galway:

http://www.homeatfirst.com/CONNEMARA.HTM

Another Ballynakill (Ballinakill) on the opposite side, in the south east of County Galway:

clonfertdiocese.ie/ballinakill-and-derrybrien

irelandxo.com/ireland/…parish-ballinakill

And, the third was in the Glinsk area of North East County Galway, bordering Co Roscommon:

glinsk.ie/index.php/…ballinakill-abbey

10. Re: Galway and Limerick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2017, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations