We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway excursions

Oud-Turnhout...
Level Contributor
129 posts
66 reviews
Galway excursions

I would like to do a tour by bus, starting from Galway, to Burren/Cliffs of Moher (and maybe another day to Connemara).

I've read that O'Neachtain and Lally offer such tours (and maybe some others too). Have you ever done such a tour (or what company would you take) ?

An other question: are there also ferries to the Aran Islands (Inishmore) ? Is it possible to rent bicycles on the island ?

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Galway excursions

There are regular ferries from Galway to the Aran Islands. The providers are Aran Island Ferries and Aran Direct. If you're staying in Galway city, the boats that leave from the docks area, which is minutes walk from the city centre, are the easiest to take. But if you suffer from sea sickness or similar, you might try the boat from Rossaveal in Connemara as the sea crossing is shorter. It is possible to book your trip on the ferry provider's websites, where you will also find time and price information.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Galway excursions

We used Lally tours for two day trips (Inis Mor and Connemara) and would recommend them. Actually, if you book 2 trips at the same time (not 2 passengers but 2 separate trips) then you are eligible for a discount. We took the bus around the corner from Eire Square (was it Kinlay House Hostel?) and drove out to Rossaveel before boarding the ferry. You can rent bicycles once you arrive...or, if you're feeling like mixing with the locals try to strike a deal with one of the many pony-cart guides that meet the ferry. Our guide Sean (and pony, Dan) were lovely and made our day very memorable! Connemara is nice too (although we didn't see much besides rain)...be sure to have a hot bowl of dilled potato soup with bread on the side. Delish!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Galway excursions

Sorry, started drooling all over the keyboard at the mere thought of the dilled potato soup and forgot to say where you can enjoy it...

The cafeteria at Kylemore Abbey

Okay, back to drooling...(slurp!)...

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
1 review
4. Re: Galway excursions

Hi myrtle, passing the sponge. :-) I know people who've used Lally too and really liked them. Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Galway excursions

Thanks Boru...between this and another post making me teary eyed it's amazing that I can type at all!

Our guide/driver to Connemar (Mike, I believe) was wonderful, funny, freindly and gave us non-Irish a bit of history without making us feel like we were back in school and waiting for the lunch bell! Hopefully if you take this tour you'll be able to walk around the gardens and enjoy them more than I did (thanks to a tropical storm up from the Gulf of Mexico).

6. Re: Galway excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 22:17
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations