We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Bay Cottages

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Galway Bay Cottages

Just to update info on Galway Bay Cottages. My husband, daughter and I stayed in the cottages for a week in July 2012. We did an international time-share swop.

The cottages are in Barna along the coast road, Barna village is very close, with a grocery shop, pub, restaurant and usual shops. We had a car so not sure of the bus service to the cottages. There is also a taxi service.

The cottage we stayed in was comfortable, all we needed for a clean place to sleep as we were out all day. The beds were comfortable. The fireplace was stacked with complimentary fire-wood and peat when we arrived but there after we bought our own. Towels were supplied, the bathroom was a little run down. We had to put down a 25 Euro deposit for the electricity and at the end of our stay, our meter was read and we were given a refund.

The kitchen was clean, the furniture was a little worn. There was a washer and drier in a small laundry next to the office and a wash and dry was 4 Euros.

We had a comfortable stay at Galway Bay Cottages, all we needed for our stay.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,252 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Galway Bay Cottages

Thank you for the review.

I notice you have reviewed places presumably for the Dublin part of your stay. Would you be kind enough to give a small trip report on your activities whilst at the time share as this would be of use to others staying out in one of the more remote parts of southern Connemara.

Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
2. Re: Galway Bay Cottages

I had the same experience in Nov 2012 (except that they wanted 50 Euro instead of 25. Probably because more electric needed for the cooler winter temps). Staff was helpful and friendly, and I appreciated the towels, and a washer and dryer that were available. We were out most of the time as well, but it is a decent place to step off from. In high tourist season, I envision a log jam of cars from Barna into Galway, since it is a little far to walk. However, if you have several family members traveling together, and are just looking for the basics, this is a great location. It has all you need for self-catering (fridge, utensils, toaster, full stove and oven, sink, and kitchen bench and table.

Baton Rouge...
1 post
3. Re: Galway Bay Cottages

I just returned from a trip to Ireland (May 25th - June 2nd 2013). I rented one of the Galway Bay Cottages with 3 other people. It's located in Barna, but it was always easy enough to catch a taxi or take the public bus. (A taxi runs about 20 euros & the public bus goes into Galway from Barna 3-4 times daily.) Also, the cottages were only a 5 minute walk from restaurants, the grocery store (which had the ATM), the local pharmacy, and any other basic needs.

We spent most of our days out and about, but the cottages were very comfortable. We had no problems with our bathroom. The kitchen was a little small but all the appliances worked fine. We also paid a 50 euro energy deposit, but were refunded 10 euros of that at check-out.

Sue in the front office was SO helpful and friendly!!! She helped us get reservations for peak times at nice local restaurants in Barna. She also helped us find public transportation to various places. She even set up day tours for us (at a significant discount too!) - the buses for the tours even picked us up & dropped us off right in front of the cottages!!!

We had a wonderful stay at the Galway Bay Cottages & I would recommend it to anyone!

4. Re: Galway Bay Cottages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations