We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Galway

Helllo,

I will be arriving in Shannon then driving to Galway for two days. Does anyone have any suggestions on a first day itinary given jet lag and learning to drive on the left? Are the Cliffs of Mohr an isnae ambition?

Thanks.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,079 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Galway

Coming from New York (yes?) it's unlikely you'll encounter much jet lag, it's only a 5 hour difference. You will probably be tired, but that's a different matter..anyway, Cliffs of Moher on the way to Galway from Shannon makes for a nice stop.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,449 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Galway

Where are you going after Galway?

The Cliffs are in county Clare - about an hour from Shannon, and then quite doable from the cliffs to Galway - less than 2 hours, maybe an hour and a half.

However, you will be tired after your transatlantic, so be careful not to push it.

If you moved Galway forward a day or so, you could get some good tours in county Clare from Loop Head to Ballyvaughan and the Burren - but you should manage a quick stop at the cliffs before you go on to Galway.

world
Level Contributor
284 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Galway

On what day and at what time are you arriving at Shannon? And are we talking high season, here?

If it's earlier in the week, early morning, Cliffs are perfectly doable, even if you're jetlagged. If it's later in the day and on the weekends, there'll be huge amounts of people. (Of course, if you don't mind crowds, it's not really an issue. I personally just happen to not like crowds and will do a lot to avoid them.)

Don't worry about driving on the left, it's pretty easy to get used to. You'll most likely have the most problems when turning on or off roads, so think about that whenever turning. Just remember that the passenger in your car should always be to the edge of the road. I personally have more problems when I drive elsewhere after driving on the left. Oh, and for some reason, in parking lots/car parks. :)

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Galway

You will experience some jet lag and might want to take an afternoon nap on your first day. I agree that the cliffs of moher would be a good stop that day. Also, check out the town of kinvara and castle on your way back to galway from the cliffs.

As for the driving, be careful whan you are making right turns at intersections as you might accidently move into the wrong lane as you turn.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Galway

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will keep them in all in mind. We are arriving at 7AM on Tuesday, 7/8 and spending our first two nights in Galway. It sounds like the Cliffs would work as long as we are there early and takeour time.

Thank you all for your generous response!

6. Re: Galway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:29
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations