We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway by public transportation

Middletown, NJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Galway by public transportation

We will be taking a train from Dublin to Galway and spending 3 nights there in April. Using Galway as our base, we then plan on spending a few days on bus trips to local sights.

I am looking for a B&B or hotel suggestion withing walking distance of train and bus stations. Can it also be within walking distance of the water too?

Thank you!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Galway by public transportation

Jurys Hotel - right by the Claddagh/spanish arch/water

ten minutes walk to the bus station/train station

10 minutes walk to the start of the promenade where Salthill beach is (this walk goes on for 1.5 miles approx).

I always suggest Jurys - it has reasonable rates, they have room rates and they have larger rooms in case you need more than 1/2 people there.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Galway by public transportation

try The Warwick Hotel - in Lower Salthill - 5 minute walk to the prom - 10 minute walk into town - and on a very regular bus route into town.

by the way Jurys is in the heart of the town, right by the pedestranised street Quay Street where there is a lot of buzz.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Galway by public transportation

Radisson hotel

this is a spit away from the train/bus station and is by the water - lough atalia.

a bit pricier

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Galway by public transportation

JUSRN2 We stayed at the Park House Hotel for our 3 nights in Galway, after taking the train from Dublin. Very close to the train station and very easy to get around town and to the departure points for other tours. We booked three nights with 2 dinners for 2 included, fantastic restaurant at the Park House. I would highly recommend!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Galway by public transportation

good idea akandal - sometimes I forget about park house and its great

Middletown, NJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Galway by public transportation

These suggestions all sound like small hotels. I think I would really like to have the B&B experience on this trip. There seem to be so many of them in Galway but I don't know how to choose.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
62,118 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Galway by public transportation

College Road is a short walk from the train and bus stations and is lined with B&Bs.

Petra House, Four Seasons to name a couple. If you don't have a lot of luggage you could walk it in 7-8 minutes from the station, but it IS uphill a bit on the way. Otherwise you can grab a taxi.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Galway by public transportation

there are absolutely HUNDREDS of b and b's in galway so you will have to pick your own.

some tips - the college road b and b's are fine - they are situated about 10 minutes around from the station but as another poster said they are uphill and not an easy walk if you have a lot of luggage.

avoid the b and b's past college road - i.e. anywehre on the dublin road, renmore, merlin park and further out - these ones are two far away for what you are looking for.

Id say if you want to be near the station then go for the college road ones. Otherwise there are lovely ones out by the beach if you are willing to spend 6 - 7 euro on a hackney to get you in and out to the station if you don't want to walk.

Middletown, NJ
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Galway by public transportation

What is a hackney???

I'm leaning toward The Foue Seasons B&B on College Rd.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Galway by public transportation

A Hackney is also a taxi of sorts BUT cannot be hailed, must be requested at an office or by phone unlike a taxi which can be hailed in any public place, requested at an office, rank, or by phone.

Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations