We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby friendly?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Baby friendly?

Hi,

We are wanting to come to Galway for 2 nights In september.

We will have a 4 month old baby and would like to bring him with us. We will be doing walks and exploring In the day and we want to visit the pubs at night (more for atmosphere not for drinking) we are just wondering if night time is baby friendly.

My parents have offered to look after the little one but id really like to take him if I can still make the most of my visit.

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,304 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby friendly?

Ireland must be the most baby friendly place in the world.

Children are allowed in pubs until 9pm, 10pm in summer.

we regularly eat out in pubs where the next table is Mum, Dad and four children, from babies in arms , toddlers, up to teenagers.

It is the opposite of the UK, here children are welcome, dogs arent allowed in,

Not sure which I prefer, it would be nice to have a choice. !

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
907 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby friendly?

Would you bring your baby to the pub at night in UK? If not then don't do it in Ireland.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby friendly?

Yes children allowed in pubs till 10 during the summer - but not sure a 4 month old baby would like it! -Might be a bit noisy - perhaps a table away from the speakers and the band - and also don't forget to put the baby carrier up on something secure rather than on the floor - a trip hazard or someone could spill something on it. Being honest I'd cut out plans for pub time and have a quieter family break.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 23:14
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,304 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby friendly?

Must say I took it as going to the pub in the evening for a pint and a meal, not for the late music, which is not suitable for a baby due to the volume.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby friendly?

Quieter (i.e not much live music) pubs such as The Bierhaus or McGinns might be okay. I wouldnt recommend the live music pubs as theyll be very loud. Places like Universal, Massimo and Keoghs might work but wont necessarily have the 'atmosphere' you might be looking for.

Reply to: Baby friendly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted