We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway as Base?

Boston
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Galway as Base?

My family of 5 will be in Ireland for 4 days in August. We would like to see Dingle Peninsula, Cliffs of Moher, maybe visit Fethard in Tipperary where my grandparents are from. Would Galway be a good base to visit these sites or would we be better off staying different places each night if the driving is too much.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Galway as Base?

The Cliffs of Moher are a perfect daytrip from Galway but Dingle would be too far and so would be Fethard. You might have to consider staying in different places each night and even so four days are very short to see what you want to see...

Ireland
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Galway as Base?

I would not use Galway as a base to see Fethard or Dingle Peninsula - it is a 4.5 hour drive to Dingle from Galway

Limerick or maybe Ennis would be the best place to visit these places. Limerick would be 2 hours from Dingle Peninsula and about 1 hour from Fethard, 1.5 hours from Cliffs of Moher and Galway.

Ennis is 1 hour from Galway, Fethard and Cliffs of Moher, and 2 hours from Dingle Peninsula using the Shannon Ferry - www.shannonferries.com

Enjoy yourselves

try www.aaroadwatch.ie which has a good journey planner, although the suggested journey times on it can be slightly optimistic. The roads on the Dingle Peninsula are busy, narrow and winding so you will need to leave early to get a good day there.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Galway as Base?

Galway is fine for visiting Cliffs of Moher - you could even get a day trip to Tipperary and back in one day. However, Dingle is a different story - it will take you AT LEAST three and a half to four hours to get there. I suggest staying in Cork for a few days.

Remember, the roads are a lot smaller than in Boston (no big dig here) and you are on the other side of the road. It takes a bit of getting used to.

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Galway as Base?

Galway is a large city with a lot of traffic around it and a ton or roundabouts! So, if you are traveling in and out each day coming back at night is a chore. If you can, I would suggest staying over at least one night in Dingle. We did a day trip from Galway to Dingle and back and it was really too long. Dingle is a great town and a gorgeous area. There is so much to see and do that I suggest planning extra time there!

Have fun!

5. Re: Galway as Base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations