We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

Wife and I will be spending four days in Galway city hotel in early June. My grandparents are from Swinford in Mayo and want to go to Hennigans Heritage Center one day. Not planning to drive as not sure of my 70 year old self on wrong side of car and road on small roads. So how would we get to Swinford and back? Private drivers? Uber?

Ideas?

Thank you

Tom OHara

5 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,172 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

There is a public bus that does this three times a day (Bus Eireann route 52), but the timings don't suit a day trip and it also leaves the issue of how you get around when in Swinford.

The best option is probably a private driver with a negotiated rate in advance. I'll leave it to a Galway-based poster to nominate someone.

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

It's not the wrong side of the road, it's just the opposite side than you are used to.

You could get the No.52 bus to Swinford and get a taxi back since the last bus back to Galway leaves you little time in Swinford. If you call a taxi company in Swinford they could give you a good price.

Also, you could stay the night in Swinford. There's a few hotels and B&B's in the town.

Or just rent a car. It's a pretty direct route and the roads are not as small as you think they are.

Edited: 13 February 2018, 07:11
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

Rent a car. Swinford is an easy drive from Galway. A few elderly dear friends live in the area and they manage just fine! Once you leave enough time, you will be grand

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

Thanks very much. I love driving and will try it! Question. Is driving around this entire Galway area suggested? Ie areroadsnotso narrow orso busy? Thinking if I rent for a day maybe Ishould drive around to other areas as well such as Connemara and Cliffs ofM, Doolin, Ennis etc?

Appreciate the encouragement

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo

Don't be one bit worried about driving in Ireland,if anything should happen,that's what your insurance is for.

I thought the same way about driving for the first time in Spain many years ago & now i do it without even thinking,once your on the road for 20 minutes your off..

The only thing I will say though is that you should consider hiring an automatic car,as trying to negotiate the irish roads is one thing but coupling that with changing gears could be a bit more tricky.

You don't want to spend your whole trip on edge,worried about every time you have to travel anywhere by car.I live in Connamara and we're well used to having visitors coming at us on the wrong side of the road or conking the car while taking off at lights or at junctions.

Vehicle GPS systems shouldn't be trusted always as quite often road signage and villages in Ireland are in Gaelic and not always recognised on the sat nav.My advise is to buy a map just in case.

Reply to: Galway City to Swinford County Mayo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations