We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway - lodging

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
789 posts
176 reviews
Galway - lodging

We booked our 2-night lodging for Dublin - now we are onto Galway.

Trying to decide between staying close to the city center or at an Inn south of Salthill (considering apartments - one on Henry Street or one on Father Griffin Road - at Crescent Court)

The Inn is the Marless House. This place ticks all the boxes for us - with the exception of the distance to city center.

While we plan on taking day trips for two of our three days (Cliffs of Moher, and probably Connemara) we fully intend to spend our evenings in Galway, taking in the pubs and live music. I expect we will be in town late into the evening, as I read that in many places the music doesn't really get started til 10pm)

I would prefer not to drive into town - as I assume parking can be rough. Plus, after a few pints and some whiskey, it's probably not the best idea to drive, especially since we are not used to the "left side" - coming from the states.

Are there cabs or Uber that run later at night - like midnight?

Thoughts?

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
113 reviews
1. Re: Galway - lodging

Please don't even consider driving after you've had a drink. The drink driving laws in Ireland are ( rightfully imo) very strict - even stricter than here in the uk. I can't advise on your proposed accommodations nor on the availability of taxis but I'm sure one of the local experts (Damian?) will be along soon to advise.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
789 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Galway - lodging

Oh, we would not drive after drinking - which is why I'm asking about cabs, uber etc.

We are not heavy drinkers, but enjoy a pint or two. That being said, one of the reasons we were looking in the city center was so we didn't have to worry about driving once we were back from touring around.

I don't mind taking cabs or bus - just more convenient to be able to walk.

Edited: 16 November 2016, 06:30
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: Galway - lodging

JP forgive me - didn't mean to imply any such thing, it's just that visitors aren't always aware of Ireland's very strict drink drive limits! I love Salthill but as I have never stayed overnight there I can't tell you about transport options. Hopefully this will at least 'bump' your query so that someone more knowledgable than me sees it :)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
298 reviews
4. Re: Galway - lodging

We like renting a 2-bedroom "self-cater" apartment at the Galway Bay Sea View Apartments right on Galway Bay. Fully-furnished and equipped, clean apartments within less than a mile walking distance from the City Center and right in Salthill with lots of restaurants and pubs. The building looks like an abandoned office building on lower Wacker Drive in Chicago, but inside are modern apartments. Cost less than 2 hotel rooms.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,242 posts
5. Re: Galway - lodging

Lots of choice with parking on College Road.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
789 posts
176 reviews
6. Re: Galway - lodging

Thank you!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Galway - lodging

Henry street is well within walking distance. There are a couple of taxi ranks all round the city. stop and ask someone for directions. There is evening trad sessions in some pubs in the city starting about 6.Strict drink driving laws here so I wouldn't even consider that, it is not an acceptable practice.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
101 reviews
8. Re: Galway - lodging

~~~ Father Griffin Road - at Crescent Court~~~

There is a large Super Valu supermarket and ATM downstairs. Down the road you have Anton's Cafe and Bistro where there is a small outdoor seating area. At end of Father Burke Road there is the “bicycle share” scheme where you can rent out bicycles and explore the city and beyond – there may be a deposit required

Connemara is easily accessible via the N59 and the R336 roads, and if you wish to visit any of the Aran Islands - you can take the ferry from Ros a' Mhíl (Rossaveal) or the short flight from Indreabhán (Inverin). Additionally, if you want to experience some traditional Irish music - as opposed to that which is served up for visitors - pop over to Sea Road and the Crane Bar – which is around the corner.

Some terrific walks too down by the Claddagh (home of the famous Claddagh Ring) and out to Salthill - these walks are extremely popular in the summer.

http://www.thecranebar.com/

Pittsburgh, Pa.
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Galway - lodging

Look into the Jury's Inn Galway. You can walk to dozens of pubs just outside the door to the left. It was perfect! No transportation needed.

10. Re: Galway - lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2017, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations