We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaelic Football?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Gaelic Football?

We will be visiting Ireland for one week (wish it was more) my son is sports mad Aussie Rules is his favorite but he is interested in all sports and I wondered if there would be any games on that we might get a chance to see, we will be there from the 20 - 27 Sept.

Thanks

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
1. Re: Gaelic Football?

I think you may be out of luck. The All-Ireland Football Final is on the 16th of September (always the 3rd Sunday of September). This is to be played between Cork and Kerry this year. This is the end of the season and is probably (along with the hurling final on 1st Sunday every September) the biggest sporting event in the country each year.

Tickets for the finals are like gold dust and even if you were here for them it is impossible to get them even though there are 82,500 of them!!

It is probable that highlights or a replay of the game will be shown on tv during your stay but other than that there will be no big games on

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Gaelic Football?

The All Ireland season is nearing an end and the All-Ireland Football final is on the 16th of September. The ladies final is on the 23rd of Sept in Dublin.

Your best bet is local fixtures that will be on through out the country usually at the weekends.Where do you plan to be the weekend of the 23rd?

Have a look at ww.gaa.ie.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Gaelic Football?

Thanks for the quick replies, on the 23 we will be in Clifden - looks like we will just miss out.

We will be away for our AFL grand final - in Italy in fact and apparently have no hope of finding anywhere to watch it there!

Who is fancied to win between Cork and Kerry?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Gaelic Football?

Kerry is the home of gaelic football and have the most titles in the country. They won it last year. They also beat Cork in the provincial final to advance. Due to a back door system In which the provincial losers get a second chance by playing other losers. Cork have found themselves playing Kerry. they are both big rivals as they are neighbouring counties.

Kerry are fancied but Cork will give them a good run for their money. Its all on the day!!

I will check the local fixtures in Galway for that weekend and let you know if there is anything worth watching

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Gaelic Football?

Suzy Flag - would really appreciate that thanks. Hope we may get to see a replay of the final in an Irish Pub somewhere.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Gaelic Football?

By the way the All Ireland hurling final is on this weekend Limerick v Kilkenny. That might be one to watch if it is being shown live or later on. Kilkenny favourites top hurling team in Country and Limerick who havn't won it since 1973. The whole country is behind them!!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Gaelic Football?

jaz

remember that there are two main sports within the gaelic games family : hurling & gaelic football

gaelic football you will know from the aussie rules connection. Hurling is also a field sport featuring 15 players on a team, the dimensions of the pitch are the same, but players use a stick ( a little like a hockey stick) and a small ball. its an absolutely fantastic game to watch, i would watch it over gaelic football every time.

The all-ireland hurling county final is on this weekend.

If you want to watch either of these games, then your best bet at this time of the year is to watch a 'club' match. Each village usually has a club, and some larger towns will have several clubs.

Within each county there are usually dozens of clubs in both codes. Around the time you are visiting, the club county championships will be coming to a close. For example, within Galway all the clubs (each representing their own village) will play a knock-out competition. I'd say in late September you might see a 'club county' sem-final......the county finals are usually in October.

Subsequent to this, the champion club from each county enters the all-ireland club championships, with the finals in March.

this is distinct from the All Ireland InterCounty Championships, which have been referred to already - with Cork & Kerry in football and Kilkenny Limerick in hurling....these involve the best players from all the clubs in a county playing together to represent the county.

So in sumamary, it should be easy to see a club match....the skill levels might be a little bit below the county matches, but the passion just as intense since it involves neighboring towns playing each other and all the rivalry that goes with that.

The towns around where you are staying in should have local GAA clubs, look it up on the internet & hopefully you will get details...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Gaelic Football?

You could contact www.galwaygaa.ie

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Gaelic Football?

Billy thanks so much for the detailed information.

Will look up the site provided and work out if we can get to game. As I said my son has a real interest in all sports plays aussie rules and lacrosse and is very keen to watch some games whilst we are traveling around. I appreciate the explanation of the different codes.

Suzy Flag would love to be able to watch the final this weekend, still in Perth though so don't think there is much chance it will be televised here!

Hope Limerick can do it!

Dublin
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Gaelic Football?

i'm cheering for kilkenny jaz, but still looking for a ticket if anyone out there can help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!