We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Early Music Festival in May

maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
67 reviews
Galway Early Music Festival in May

Hello, I'm trying to get info about the Galway Early Music Festival. What kind of festival is it? Will there be alot of people and in and around the area? We are planning on being in this area and will need a B&B and haven't planned on booking in advance. We love music and Irish tradition things, Is this something that would be of interest or is it something for the natives? The website has a walking tour (free) that you can use with smartphone, I wonder what it is? Has anyone been before? Any info? Eating places? Thank you!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

Hi! Just had a look at the website and although a bit confusing I gather that it is a festival of "early" in the sense of ancient music. So expect chant or early medieval type music and discussions/workshops on such matters. They also advertise a session on bronze age instruments which would interest archeologists with an interest in that type of thing.

My guess is that this festival will attract a certain clientele with an interest in that type of music and probably a few curious onlookers who might get hooked or run away.

I wouldn't expect to find much by way of traditional Irish diddly diddly but someone from Galway might put you more in the picture

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,238 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_dzrnHPEpM

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
298 reviews
3. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

We thought it meant early in the year , and got interested because we will be there...until we looked at the web site and Tony's attached youtube link. It's "early" in evolutionary terms. Trad on the Prom it is. Thanks.

FYI - We tourists love that diddly diddly stuff. :-)

Edited: 11 April 2013, 12:11
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,238 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

There is a lot of good trad to be found in the bats around Galway no need to pay to find it/

galwaycitypubguide.com/live-music-venues.html

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
298 reviews
5. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

Thanks Tony. We are there for 3 nights and will soak it all up. We already got a gift of dinner and a show at Trad on the Prom on opening night for the season, so we are definitely going....the rest of the nights will be in pubs.

Bring on the diddly diddly!

Edited: 11 April 2013, 12:23
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

I take it Eddie, that you will be in the 'run away' category! Thanks tony for the youtube. My guess was more or less correct.

7. Re: Galway Early Music Festival in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 16:17