We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family weekend in Snowdonia

Cardiff
Level Contributor
57 posts
Family weekend in Snowdonia

Hi All

I am Taking my family to Snowdonia on the weekend of 16th/17th/18th November and would be very grateful of some suggestions advice.

I will be travelling with my Wife and our two children 7 and 3.

What would be a nice short kid friendly walk please?

What towns are worth visiting ? What would you recommend doing with young kids ?

Finally where would you recommend we stay ? We are looking for a cheap option - we have a campervan but it maybe to cold at this time of year- what are the cheap options?

Thanks in advance

Moyesey

13 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
68 reviews
128 helpful votes
1. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Hi Moysey

Whilst it’s not in a Snowdonia and considering you want something kid friendly and cost effective

Take a look at Llandudno

It’s close enough to Snowdon to make day trips easy but has a wide range of accomodation from Premiet Inns upwards . Also plenty of cafes restaurants and supermarkets as well as a theatre and cinema

London, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
162 reviews
108 helpful votes
2. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

For somewhere cheap to stay with children, what about a family room in one of the Youth Hostels around the area? www.yha.org.uk

For child-friendly walks in November I'd suggest staying off the mountains themselves unless the kids are experienced at mountain-walking. One possibility is the walk along the shore of the lake at Llanberris: views of Snowdon but without the challenges.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
57 posts
3. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Thanks for replies

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
4. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Have a look at Aber Falls.

Aberdaron, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
54 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Also consider the Llyn peninsular - of particular interest may be Black Rock sands, just west of Porthmadog.

Castles are also extremely good in N.Wales - particularly Caernarfon. Perhaps look at the CADW site about a multi day family pass to save on entrance fees.

Camping may be getting limited - as some close at the end of October. Temperatures can obviously vary (down to -3 last night due to north wind and clear sky's).

Camper Vans - some issues this year with some making a nuisance (waste etc) - so you may find more restrictions. National Trust membership may also be of use - gives free (daytime) parking - such as the main car park in Aberdaron.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
57 posts
6. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Thanks for all the replies - really helpful

I have booked a hotel in Porthmadog as got a really good deal.

Any other suggestions on good family activities from here would be appreciated.

I am thinking a day doing a nice drive / walk in Snowdonia National Park. Where would people recommend?

A trip on the scenic train as kids will like this - is this easy to get to from Porthmadog ?

And maybe a trip to Port Meirion.

Does this sound like a good itinerary?

Edited: 30 October 2018, 11:36
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
68 reviews
128 helpful votes
7. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

A drive through the Ogwen Valley

Capel Curig , Bedgellert and down to Bethesda and maybe pop into Caernarfon on the way back to see the castle?

Edited: 30 October 2018, 11:52
Cardiff
Level Contributor
57 posts
8. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Thanks for Advice ieuca - how long would this drive take please ? Where would you stop on the drive ?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
68 reviews
128 helpful votes
9. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Hi Moyesy

Just done a google map and pur in

Porthmadog to Bedgellert , to Capel Curig, to Abergwygregyn for a side trip to Aber falls as mentioned earlier

Then Caernarfon and back to Porthmadog

It's a circular drive that will take you through Snowdonia and give you a good insight to Snowdonia stopping as you wish

Driving time is given as 2 hrs and a few minutes

The advantage of doing it that way round is that you will be on the main road heading back to Porthmadog so you can travel back quickly on good roads when it's getting dark , less chance of getting lost and maybe stop for a bite in Caernarfon

Cardiff
Level Contributor
57 posts
10. Re: Family weekend in Snowdonia

Thanks iueca sounds great -

A couple of other questions if anyone can advise me please?

Where exactly are the falls that are mentioned in this post as I like the sound of this.

Also is it worth doing the Snowdon mountain railway ? Is it open in November ? As mentioned we are staying in Porthmadog so were planning to do highland train to canaerfon but as this is on this circular drive I’m thinking the mountain railway might be a better option- what do people think?

Also the Porthmadog to caernafon train is 2 hours 10 mins each way - 4 and half hours on a train for my 3 year old might be a challenge !!

Edited: 31 October 2018, 07:45
Reply to: Family weekend in Snowdonia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Snowdonia National Park
Recent Conversations