We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in London

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
94 posts
25 reviews
7 helpful votes
Hotels in London
Save

Preliminary planning for possible trip early April, 2022. My daughter (40) and I (70) are coming to London for her participation in a week's educational program. The program suggests staying at The Stay Club London Student Accomodations in Camden or Kentish town, but we secure our own lodging so we are considering staying elsewhere. Since I will be on my own during the day we are wondering if we should stay where I can easily navigate London "must sees." Can you give us some mid-range price hotels that would give me easy access but wouldn't be so far removed from where the majority are staying? Thanks so much.

33 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
21. Re: Hotels in London
Save

The Judd Hotel is just a few walkable blocks from the Kings Cross station and also near The Russell Square station.

Here’s the hotel website:

https://www.juddhotelbloomsbury.com/

And here’s a link to the TripAdvisor reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d1791870-Reviews-Judd_Hotel-London_England.html

Our room was a twin and pretty tiny but we had a busy schedule and weren’t in the room much. And our stay was only 4 nights. It’s worth considering …

Here’s my review:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Profile/CharoletteBartlet?tab=reviews&fid=4a796d54-82e5-4d86-9209-bf38eb03c700

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
8 reviews
14 helpful votes
22. Re: Hotels in London
Save

The St Pancras Renaissance is in the perfect location in a beautifully restored building. It’s built above St Pancras station, which is right next door to King’s Cross. The only quest would be whether it’s in your budget.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
94 posts
25 reviews
7 helpful votes
23. Re: Hotels in London
Save

Thanks, Charolette & John. I will investigate both of these suggestions. I appreciate your input so much.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
24. Re: Hotels in London
Save

My daughter, who lives in Austin, really likes the Apex London Wall, which is in the City of London (the original London). It is on a small quiet side street, is modern and very comfortable.

Moorgate tube station, on the Northern line (as well as the Metropolitan, Circle and Hammersmith and City) is near by and so is Liverpool Street Railway station (central line).

It is correct that the Norther line Bank branch will not be running south of Moorgate for some time, but most of the places you would want to go south bound are walkable and it is working fine north bound.

It would also be a shortish walk to the Tower of London, Tower Bridge and the Thames.

There are lots of restaurants nearby from very grand to ethnic fast food. There is also a charming one (or possibly two) off coffee shop less than a 5 minute walk.

The City is a bit off the tourist radar but is definitely a place where people live and work and it would not be a problem coming home late. In that sense it would be more relaxing than Camden or Kentish Town.

It is likely to be slightly over budget (I came up with £201 pn for 2 people in a twin room staying more than 4 nights) but it certainly gives the "I am on holiday and being pampered" feel.

The Apex Temple Court is popular on this forum but would not be as good for getting to your daughter's course.

I am just over your age and have lived in the City for 30 years (when I moved from Cambridge to London I reckoned that if I had to move to London I should live in London proper) and have remained pleased with my choice.

The City is also an interesting place to wander in being full of historic surprises.

Edited: 28 October 2021, 21:48
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
94 posts
25 reviews
7 helpful votes
25. Re: Hotels in London
Save

Leagle, thanks so much for these details. I'll definitely look at this area. I'm learning a lot!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
76 reviews
44 helpful votes
26. Re: Hotels in London
Save

Picking up on #24 , friends of ours stayed at Apex Temple Court on a sightseeing few days in London and liked it very much. More central than the one in the City ( which sounds central but is the name given to the financial area a bit to the east of today's central London ) .

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
27 reviews
43 helpful votes
27. Re: Hotels in London
Save

But is you are attending a programme in or near Camden, you need to be on either the Northern line tube although if the programme is in Kentish Town, First Capital Connect might do, in which case Blackfriars station would work although I still think the City is more interesting than the area around the Strand, except for Dr. Johnson's house and the Royal Court's of Justice.

Essex
Level Contributor
36,096 posts
62 reviews
198 helpful votes
28. Re: Hotels in London
Save

It all hangs on where the course/programme is situated, as far as I am concerned.

As yet we do not have that information.

There are great suggestions here but they may yet prove to be useless, without the KEY information.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
94 posts
25 reviews
7 helpful votes
29. Re: Hotels in London
Save

So sorry I've been unavailable to respond! Two grandchildren's birthdays and Halloween got me sidetracked, and I apologize! David J & Leagle, I really appreciate your continued input. I hope to pull all of this together this weekend. EssexWanderer, I regret I still don't have the information as to where the program will primarily be presented. It appears that the locations are TBD and are at various London locations. I know that is vague but unfortunately that's all I have at this point. Thanks to everyone!

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,635 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
30. Re: Hotels in London
Save

If various locations are to be used in London then maybe the area around Kings Cross St Pancras would suit as it has many connections by tube, train and bus to other areas.

The tfl.gov.uk website has a map showing the tube and rail system that you can download and see where they serve. There are also spider maps in the bus section, look for the Kings Cross one in the Camden folder, that shows where buses go from there and where to catch them from.

By the way First Capital Connect train services are now called Thameslink.

Reply to: Hotels in London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.