We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...

Los Angeles...
7 posts
Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Hello Friends-

Assuming COVID travel restrictions are resolved, I will be visiting London with my two young adult sons for 6 days in late January 2022. This will be our second visit to this most excellent city. We are staying in a hotel near Earl's Court. We are very comfortable on the underground. We will be arriving via train from Edinburgh on a Monday afternoon and leaving via a flight from LHR the following Sunday afternoon.

We enjoy general exploring and not overly planned days. This is my 'definitely need to make happen' itinerary, but would love your thoughts on interesting additions.

Monday- arrive early afternoon, would love to have a not overly pricey dinner in the area of Earl's Court (overly pricey= more than 20 pounds per entre)

Tuesday- Borough market (a highlight from last visit), British Museum- didn't make it last time, the boys are not big museum fans, but darn it, it will be a priority for me anyway.

Wednesday- Maybe a show? Globe Theater or tickets from Leicester Square site for something lighter.

Thursday- probably will need another visit to Borough market by now... nothing else planned as yet

Friday- Me and the younger one will be taking a train to the Tank Museum in Bovington.

Saturday- Portobello Market (?).

Sunday- 15:30 flight to Dublin. Thoughts on how early we need to get to the airport?

In order to make some appropriate recommendations, when last we were there, we went to, and enjoyed: Tower of London, Greenwich Observatory, Royal Navel College, British Library, Churchill War Rooms, Tate Britain, Museum of London, and Highgate Cemetery. Probably do not need to return to these attractions this visit though.

Also, I know January is likely not the best time of year to visit, but that is the time frame I have due to my work schedule.

Also, anyone know if you can buy cheese approved for international travel? We were able to bring back some Gouda for my hubby from our trip to The Netherlands. We are big cheese lovers.

17 replies to this topic
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
8,422 posts
27 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

The Globe only has performances in the summer, but the candlelit Sam Wanamaker Playhouse is a possibility. Normally there are some good discount deals in January for the theatre, but 2022 may be different - hard to know what demand will be.

Imperial War Museum looks like an obvious one for you to visit.

Restaurants in Earls Court - personally I’d either head north towards High St Kensington or around South Kensington tube station. If you like tapas, Brindisa at the latter would fit the bill.

Edited: 31 May 2021, 10:22
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41,490 posts
2. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Decent enough grub in The Blackbird Pub.

Virginia
Level Contributor
801 posts
35 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Just a note of encouragement regarding the weather. We've been to London many times and several trips were in the January/February timeframe. We quite enjoyed our trips during those months. Things seem to be a bit quieter and much of what you do is inside.

One of our most special memories is coming out of a concert at Wigmore Hall on a January night & it was snowing! It was a beutiful walk back to our Grosvenor Square hotel. By morning the snow was gone.

We don't travel to London for the weather.

Los Angeles...
7 posts
4. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Thank you. I will check out that theater

Los Angeles...
7 posts
5. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Indeed! Thank you for the suggestion

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
34 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

>Sunday- 15:30 flight to Dublin. Thoughts on how early we need to get to the airport?<

Usually around 3 hours prior to departure for long haul flights. I prefer to be early, relax and have a coffee rather than be rushed.

On a Sunday there could be planned closures on the underground lines so you would need to check that in the weeks before. Check the status webpage at tfl.gov.uk

Depending on which terminal you fly out of at Heathrow allow about 35-40 minutes for the tube journey.

Edited: 31 May 2021, 14:15
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
34 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Is LHR to DUB considered a long haul flight?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
398 reviews
148 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

Just so you know, although entree is used to describe the main meal in the USA and Canada. In Europe it refers to a starter or first course.

There are many dining options around Earl's Court tube station and down towards West Brompton. You'd be hard pressed to fine a place charging £20 per main course. So you will certainly find something for your first night.

For the British Museum, if not everyone in your group is interested, it might be best to make a list of highlights you want to see, such as the Rosetta Stone, the mummies, etc. Then you can just head straight to those. There's more in the museum to see than you can fit in to a day. So best to make sure you see what you want before you run out of time or get museum fatigue.

You want to go to Borough Market twice in three days? It's just a food market.

You should aim to arrive at Heathrow two hours before your flight, so 1330. From Earl's Court it's an easy journey on the Piccadilly line. Allow one hour and you'll have plenty of time to spare.

January is arguably the worst time to be in London. However, as a visitor, you'll be excited by what you're seeing and doing. It's only bad for people who live here and don't get the same thrill from seeing a building like Buckingham Palace.

>>anyone know if you can buy cheese approved for international travel?<<

That depends on the restrictions of the country you are entering. However, if you're heading to Dublin for a few days before travel to the USA, the cheese might not last. For cheese, I strongly recommend you visit Paxton and Whitfield on Jermyn St in Mayfair. Explain your needs to the staff there and they will help you out.

https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk

Whilst there, pop in to Fortnum and Mason on Piccadilly as well. And if you want to visit another fancy shop, head next door to Hatchard's.

You have plenty of gaps to fill. What are your interests?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,428 posts
398 reviews
148 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

>>Is LHR to DUB considered a long haul flight?!<<

For a bee, yes.

Exeter, United...
Destination Expert
for Exeter
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
38 reviews
48 helpful votes
10. Re: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Save

You might like to think of having another day out of town- trains to, say, Oxford and Windsor are quick and frequent. Or less-touristed , St Albans. Or Canterbury - fast trains from St Pancras take less than an hour. Even in January these places have lots to offer.

Reply to: Trip Itinerary- Rough Draft...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.