We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in

Ireland
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
8 helpful votes
Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

Hi Everyone, new to this forum. I haven’t been to London in about 6 years or so and I’m just wondering what is the best area to stay in? And also with London being expensive enough to stay can anyone recommend any budget hotels that are decent quality?

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
52 reviews
59 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

I've stayed in the Travelodge Tower Bridge a few times, and I think it's excellent for location, as you can walk to the Thames in a matter of minutes, and there's also both a Tube and a Docklands Light Rail station almost on your doorstep, as well as the buses. We've stayed in dozens of Travelodges throughout the UK, and also enjoyed our stay at the Travelodge Central City Road, but the Tower Bridge one is by far our favourite. But I should also say that we were very happy when we stayed at Premier Inn in Greenwich - although it's not in central London, Greenwich is still within Zone 2 for public transport - so cheaper - and it is a gorgeous area. Mind you, I've stayed in London Docklands Travelodge, on Coriander Avenue (I think it is) and although it's certainly not central, it too is in Zone 2 and has good transport links - and the cost of rooms in that motel is considerably cheaper. We're in our 50's and have been pounding the pavements of London for decades. At least with our choice of budget hotels you get a decent room with private facilities, and there's a certain standard throughout. There are two price scales - one where you can get a refund should you cancel, and one where you don't. Obviously the latter is much less expensive (and we've always opted for it), and let's hope that it's not long before we can again make travel plans and be fairly confident that everything will work out as we planned. I've had relatives who have stayed at what appeared to be cheaper establishments, but the quality there has been very disappointing, and I'm still convinced that Travelodge, in particular, offers great value.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
44,793 posts
2. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

Please post your nightly budget and number in party.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
68,117 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

'I’m just wondering what is the best area to stay in?' There isn't one area, there are several from which to choose.

The TL in Goodman's Yard mentioned above isn't a bad choice at all. It's about two minutes' walk from Tower Hill station, handy for the Underground if you're flying to Heathrow, and even nearer Tower Gateway if you'd fly to LCY.

Having said that, there is a newish TL more or less behind Aldgate station that's worth a look. It's about 30 seconds' walk from bus stop B here http://content.tfl.gov.uk/bus-route-maps/aldgate-and-fenchurch-street-a4.pdf and although there is a construction project going on very near the hotel I suspect the windows will be double glazed and that shouldn't be an issue.

There are a couple of Premier Inns in the Aldgate area I quite like, especially the one in Alie Street. The Ibis Budget Hotel in Whitechapel Road has small rooms - they really are minimalist - but the hotel is clean and very well maintained. Depending on when you plan to travel the rates can be very budget friendly.

There are a couple of Premier Inns very near King's Cross station if you'd like to be more central, and a PI hub hotel near the York Way PI as well. The hub property has very, very small rooms but depending on your travel dates and patience for small surroundings it too may be the business.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

Its difficult recommending a place without providing additional details as to interest and purpose of your trip. If its mainly tourism, you have plenty of options like staying near London Bridge, Shoreditch, Waterloo, Southwark, Vauxhall, Pimlico all of which offer great affordable options and great access for budget hotels. There are also plenty of hostels too that also offer private rooms too, just book well in advance during busy season.

Chains like Travel Lodge, Ibis all offer affordable rooms but also dont forget about smaller independant B&B of which there are still many in London that may offer even better rates if you book directly. For additional tips also check out https://www.itsallbee.com/2018/09/where-to-stay-in-london-best-areas-to-stay/ for tips on best areas to stay in London.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
22,311 posts
116 reviews
60 helpful votes
5. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

There is no universal “best” neighborhood to stay in London. Since London’s best things to do are spread out, there’s no “downtown” as such, and much depends on your interests and budget. Some neighborhoods are more central and convenient than others, given that most visitors to London walk or use public transport to reach the attractions.

Similarly, the best hotels in London are not focused in one neighborhood and it’s easy to find great luxury accommodations in most areas of London.

The West End (Covent Garden, Soho, Leicester Square, Oxford Street, Mayfair) is a very central district with most of London’s theatres, top art galleries, excellent, varied dining for all budgets and much of London’s nightlife. 4-star and 5-star hotels dominate, with some midrange bargains. It’s easy to walk around and handy public transport connections to other parts of London. This area is excellent for families staying in London.

Just north of the West End, Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia are also centrally located, walkable to West End, with lots of bookshops, quiet streets, and the British Museum as the star attraction. A wide range of accommodation, cheaper than the neighboring West End. King’s Cross, with its train stations, is north of Fitzrovia. It’s low on sights, but has excellent transport links to other parts of London, to Heathrow and Gatwick airports and to France and Belgium via the Eurostar. Mostly inexpensive guesthouses and chain hotels.

Victoria, just south of Westminster and St James’s and on the fringes of the West End, has excellent transport links to Gatwick airport, and accommodations ranging from cheapies to pricey hotels.

Kensington is southwest of the West End. It’s on the Piccadilly line, useful for reaching both central London and Heathrow airport. Plus, it has several star attractions and while the area has numerous 5-star hotels, there is something for all budgets.

South Bank and Bank Side are across the Thames from the West End. Numerous attractions here, and London Bridge is handy for Gatwick airport. Some boutique hotels here as well as chains. City of London is good for sights, with some budget chain hotels and weekend bargains at pricier ones. Camden and the East End – bargain accommodations but less convenient for sightseeing.

Rutland, United...
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
82 reviews
143 helpful votes
6. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

Clint, you cannot pass off other people’s words as your own and I’m sure plagiarism is contrary to TA rules. Attribution is polite and proper.

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
9,297 posts
118 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

A general "rule of thumb" is to stay within the Circle Line (yellow one on Tube Maps) TLs are OK as are Premier Inn which are (IMO) better than TLs, which can be a bit basic.Both chains provide a clean, comfortable and safe place to stay.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
547 posts
8 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

I stayed at Premier Inn located very near the London

Eye and Westminster Bridge. It was a fantastic location and had a great breakfast, although not included. Only minus, was no phone in the rooms.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
112,322 posts
440 reviews
365 helpful votes
9. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

I think that Premier Inn is a great value chain, and Travelodge now aren't very far behind them.

We've stayed in several London PI's, including the one in Allie St, Aldgate East, that TP mentioned. All have been very good and very consistent, though you don't get frills like room service and fancy toiletries.

Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Best Area/Best budget hotel to stay in
Save

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but with the right flight strategy - you can save far more than what you might save with your hotel choice.

If you set up a few flight searches, or sign up for a trip-alert service, and schedule your trip around a flight that is 80% or 90% off - you could save enough to cover an entire week at a hotel (maybe even a nicer hotel than you'd have chosen otherwise.)

Have fun!

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.