We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to north wales via.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
Bath to north wales via.

We are two senior New Zealanders with a rental car.. After 4 nights in London and 8 in Cornwall and Devon we will have 2 nights in Bath before heading to North Wales via the Cotswolds (we will stay for a night in the Cotswolds) Any ideas where we should enter Wales. In Wales we will focus on Snowdonia before having a couple of nights in Chester before going to Yorkshire (where I was born) we thought from Bath - Caatle Combe, Bilbury, Bourton on the Water, Chipping Campden and then Bed down for the night. Is this doable if we leave Bath reasonably early. Have studied maps.

10 replies to this topic
Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
1,627 reviews
1. Re: Bath to north wales via.

It is doable if you set off early....but it depends on whether you are just visiting briefly.

Castle Combe and Bibury can be viewed comfortably in about an hour apiece and i would suggest arriving early at Bibury in particular as it can become very busy relatively early on in the day(like Bourton on the water).

Chipping and Bourton can be walked and enjoyed in a couple of hours each...to many,this itinerary may seem a little rushed but it is doable.

As for somewhere to stay,i think finding somewhere in or around Chipping Campden to bed down for the night would be sensible.

So....leave Bath at 7.30-Castle Combe 8am

Castle combe leave 9.30am-Bibury 10.15am

Bibury 11.30am/12pm-Bourton 12pm/12.30pm

leave Bourton at 15.30pm and arrive at Chipping Campden at 16.00pm.

Spend evening in Chipping Campden.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Bath to north wales via.

As you head north from the Cotswolds you could aim for the A5

It’s the historic coach road from London to Holyhead ( for Ireland)

It’s a nice scenic drive andvwill take you into and through North Wales and Snowdonia

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Bath to north wales via.

Entering mid/north Wales by any route is pretty scenic!

The A5 is the main artery to the port at Holyhead, so a route busy with freight traffic.

If you want a less busy route, with one part really off the beaten track ( but a proper road) this is what I'd do. (I think in terms of places rather than road numbers, sorry). I note some places of interest along the way, but you wouldn't have time for all of them, would have to choose ( unless you overnight sooner, say near Bala rather than Caernarfon). Total driving time Chipping Campden to say, Caernarfon, would be about 5 hours.

From CC head to Ludlow, via crossing the M5 just north of Worcester , and Tenbury Wells. (No need to turn into TW centre).

Ludlow is a charming small historic town, with good places to eat and a castle. More interesting to visit, castle-wise, IMO, and which doesn't take too long, is the little gem of Stokesay Castle, a fortified medieval Manor House between Ludlow and Craven Arms.

Shortly after Craven Arms turn to Church Stoke and Welshpool. At Welshpool there is Powis Castle with lovely Gardens, but that's really a half-day visit.

Now for the part few overseas visitors would get to. From Welshpool head for Llanfyllin and Llangynog. If of interest, at Llangynog, you can detour, or walk, 1 mile to the shrine church of St. Melangell at Pennsnt Melangell. This sacred site clearly pre-dates the arrival of Christianity a few centuries later, as the encompassing yew trees have been dated as 2000 years old! A peautiful peaceful spot with an interesting legend.

From Llangynog, take the road over the Berwyn Mountains to Bala. This is a decent road, very winding, takes you high, but gradually, nowhere precipitous. It is no more winding than roads you will have already encountered in Cornwall, and far less steep than roads you will encounter round Snowdon. By Bala Lake, you are into the Snowdonia National Park.

Something different to consider, anyway!

And be aware that much-overlooked Southern Snowdonia is as delightful as the more famous area around Snowdon in the north. We have our own mountains, such as Cader Idris, and the scenic Mawddach Valley for gentler walks, as well as lovely Coast and beaches . So do consider staying somewhere like Dolgellau, not just the more well-known towns of the north.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Bath to north wales via.

I should have checked .... what time of year is this trip?

And when I said all routes are scenic, I was ignoring the A55 across the north, assuming you wouldn't go that far north before turning west ... some route planners might actually send you that way though .....

How many nights are you planning for Wales in total?

Edited: 12 November 2018, 04:02
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Bath to north wales via.

We will be in Wales early June. I will have to get the map out for these smaller places. Had planned on two nights in Llangollen so we could go on the canal. Finish up in Chester for maybe a couple nights before going to Yorkshire. So we will have about 3 other nights. Any suggestions for overnight or a base for 3 nights. We are from NZ so used to winding hill roads. Thank you all.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Bath to north wales via.

If you are staying in Llangollen for the canal

https:/…

From Llangollen to Capel Curig is about an hour’s drive and will take you through Betws y Coed

You could carry on further through the Ogwen Valley and on to Caernarfon and make a day of it

If you are in Betws y Coed then that puts you close to Conwy for another Castle

You could plan a circular route from Llangollen into Snowdonia

Edited: 12 November 2018, 20:02
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Bath to north wales via.

Oh, Llangollen and the canal are a good choice for 2 nights. I often recommend these.

But not sure why you asked about routes into Wales as by then you're in Wales , and the route there is fairly obvious and straightforward. You could have mentioned this, not just Snowdonia, to save me wasting time on my previous post.

Edited: 13 November 2018, 00:38
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
69 reviews
8. Re: Bath to north wales via.

Just chipping in to observe that your plans are very doable.

Presumably you plan to visit here: https://www.pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk/ Assuming you are okay with heights you can walk across.

We also like nearby Erddig (National Trust).

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: Bath to north wales via.

The original question was for the best route from the Cotswolds into Wales and that question was answered well. Then I asked for a good base in Wales for another 3 nights other than Llangollen.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
98 posts
78 reviews
10. Re: Bath to north wales via.

Thank you for your advice and thinking of heading to Dolgellau for the night from the Cotswolds (as suggested). The next day to Caenarfon for the night (or somewhere close) then another night at Betsws-y-Coed before 2 nights at LLangollen. Hopefully this will enable to see the places we want knowing that with a limited time frame seeing everything is impossible. Is there any comments or advice on this itinerary. We dont want to much driving time. Just thought perhaps this should be in the Wales forum now.

Reply to: Bath to north wales via.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted