We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Flushing, Michigan
1 post
Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Hi , I am just beginning to plan a long awaited trip to the Cotswolds. I think we will be staying in Chipping Campden for a least a week or more. We plan on doing a lot of walking and we will also have a car. We want to be walking distance to pubs and restaurants also. Should we spend a few days in London and take the train to Bath then rent a car? Ideas of areas we should visit? We will be doing some walking trips too, any suggestions? I have read many of the posts and have some ideas but it a little overwhelming! Thank you for your help.

10 replies to this topic
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Car rental. There are not really any places to rent WITHIN the Cotswolds, so yes you need to rent somewhere like Bath or Oxford. Both really special places to visit, where you don't need a car, so go by train, enjoy for a few days, then rent the car on leaving the city.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Well, the Cotswolds are a range of hills covering some 800 sq. miles, with lots of scattered scenic, historic and architectural delights, and scattered settlements, so it's easy to feel overwhelmed initially.

But you have a week and a car, so that's good. ( Or is that a week including London and Bath? That's not so good ....).

I find this website good for 'at a glance' lists of attractions. This is the page for historic sites, and there are separate pages for gardens, for towns and villages, for activities ( including walks):

https://www.cotswolds.info/castles-romans-sh…

The official CotswoldsAONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) website is also very good for walks, but in general I find it less comprehensive and somewhat 'clunky' and less easy to use for other aspects.

Just research a bit, pick a few things you'd prioritise, and don't worry about seeing 'everything' . You can't, and will see plenty just exploring between your chosen priorities ... at a relaxed leisurely pace, of course! Have fun.

Edited: 07 November 2018, 14:32
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Meant to say, on that suggested webpage, just scroll down the page for picture and summary of each historic site.

The list includes places just outside the Cotswolds proper, such as Blenheim Palace and Bath, but I like this comprehensiveness.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Oh, I reread, 'at least a week, or more' , Good!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
62 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

We spent a week in the Cotswolds earlier this year. Highlights were Blenheim Palace, Bourton on the Water, Broadway, Cirencester and the Roman Army Museum, Swindon Steam Railway Museum (also has outlet shopping nearby). Bath is just delightful as is Stonehenge and Marlborough is worth a visit. Oxford is also within reach you can park and ride into the city centre. Hope this helps.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
112 reviews
105 helpful votes
6. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

Lulu - most of the places you have listed are not actually in the Cotswolds - including Oxford & Blenheim, Swindon, Marlborough & Stonehenge.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
202 reviews
171 helpful votes
7. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

A car rental from Heathrow avoids having to drive in London and offers many choices. We used Sixt. Very east traveling from Heathrow to Bath and then north by car. We started in Bath and ended in Broadway with overnights in Castle Combe (1 night), Painswick 3nights), and Broadway-Buckland Manor (3 nights). Painswick and Broadway were excellent bases. We tried to mix our lodging for samples of boutique hotels, inn/pub type, and manor house type. Days were mix of fun walks that were almost like treasure hunts following quirky routes the hotels provided maps for and bits of the Cotswolds Way, along with car jaunts between town and outstanding nearby restaurants in the evenings when not dining at the hotels. Beware that driving is more challenging on the single lane country roads than the highways for people used to right side driving like in the US. Nav system in car was invaluable and made it immeasurably easier but we did also have excellent geological survey map to assist. My profile lists the hotels we used under the reviews tab.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
1,647 reviews
1,663 helpful votes
8. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

stantonvillage.uk/stay.htm

Stanton is a beautiful village and sits on the fantastic Cotswolds Way,a 105 miles walk from Chipping Campden to Bath.

Basing yourselves here would give you excellent access to walks to Broadway,Chipping Campden and Winchcombe....you would be sort of central to these places.

Stanton has its own pub,The excellent Mount Inn which serves very good food and is situated at the top end of the village.

You have also mentioned Chipping Campden which as previously stated,is an excellent little market town,again,ideally situated for walks,pubs and restaurants.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
5,209 posts
112 reviews
105 helpful votes
9. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

This driving route would keep you occupied for a day:

https:/…broadway-to-broadway.shtml

There are other versions if you look online.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
78 reviews
47 helpful votes
10. Re: Just starting to plan for a June trip.

https://sudeleycastle.co.uk/

On our visit to the Cotswolds this year my wife and I thought that our afternoon here was the most interesting of our visits.

Reply to: Just starting to plan for a June trip.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted