We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London

california
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Day trip from London

please help a first time visitor to jump start on my trip planning. As I have read through a few pages of this forum and am still feeling quite lost.

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting london last two weeks of December. I would like to take her on a day trip to Cotswolds. I’ve come to the conclusion that Cotswolds is fairly spread out into several villages. I am trying to narrow it down to one or two villages that best represents Cotswolds. Any suggestions? Also, we will not have a rental vehicle so will be relying on public transportation from Covent circle, London.

Thank you for reading. Greatly appreciates any information you can offer.

12 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
6,740 posts
132 reviews
11. Re: Day trip from London

personally I agree the Cotswolds are overrated and I wouldnt spend a day there in winter if using public transport/ a tour.

As first time visitors you need to know that many places in London will be closed on Christmas Day and quite a few Boxing Day/ New Years Day. Public transport will be non-existent on Christmas Day and there are a lot of works planned on the railways for the Christmas period. So you do need to plan your trip a bit more carefully than usual, especially food on Christmas Day itself.

Plan to visit the Tower of London, consider places like Hampton Court and Windsor that are short trips from London. If you want suggestions post your interests on a separate thread on the London forum and you'll get suggestions. Afternoon teas are popular with tourists. The daughter might appreciate a pantomine, joining in is expected, as something different and a trip to a pub if of legal drinking age here but not at home.

california
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
12. Re: Day trip from London

Thank you for the suggestions.

Reply to: Day trip from London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted