We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London

california
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
Day trip from London

please help a first time visitor to jump start on my trip planning. As I have read through a few pages of this forum and am still feeling quite lost.

My teenage daughter and I will be visiting london last two weeks of December. I would like to take her on a day trip to Cotswolds. I’ve come to the conclusion that Cotswolds is fairly spread out into several villages. I am trying to narrow it down to one or two villages that best represents Cotswolds. Any suggestions? Also, we will not have a rental vehicle so will be relying on public transportation from Covent circle, London.

Thank you for reading. Greatly appreciates any information you can offer.

12 replies to this topic
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Day trip from London

" public transportation from Covent circle, London."

Do you mean Covent Garden??

BTW, it's THE Cotswolds:

https:/…

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
2. Re: Day trip from London

Edited: 30 October 2018, 21:35
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Day trip from London

Are you sure you want to do this? By the time you've had breakfast and got on the train I'm guessing it'll be 90-120 minutes to get to somewhere like Moreton in Marsh. Add in the very short daylight hours (made worse by dark, cloudy, wet days) and the return journey and it's not something I'd do by public transport from London. Oh, and also factor in travelling between villages by bus too.

Also figure into this that trains are going to be very busy due to holiday and tourist season and the possible effects of inclement weather(and students heading home from university).

I know the weather is often described as changeable but it is more likely to be cold and wet.

It's a lot to try and achieve during the shortest daylight hours.

Edited: 30 October 2018, 22:00
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Day trip from London

Agree with Pepperwhite. If you really must ... the only practicable way to do this would be with an organised tour, if they are running at that time of year.

The frequently recommended Secret Cottage is not available. A couple that appear to be operating

https://www.liontours.co.uk/cotswold-tours ... from Bath, maybe London

https://www.gocotswolds.co.uk/ ... from Moreton-in-the-Marsh station.

california
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Day trip from London

Thank you for all the feedbacks. As you can see I’m utterly clueless. I meant Covent Garden. And didn’t think about the short winter daylights and didn’t factor in the holiday rush. I did look into the secret garden tour and they were completely booked until next year. Thank you for the recommendations for the other tours. I will start from there. If that doesn’t work out, I will either scratch it from plan or work things around to perhaps spend a night there. Again, thanks for the recommendations!! And I’m open to anything else you all can think of.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Day trip from London

https://theenglishbus.com/…

Her is another well reviewed company but not sure what they do at that time of year. I am writing this at 4.30 pm and it is getting dark now and in December it will be even earlier.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Day trip from London

The Cotswolds is spread out over a lot more than "several villages". It is an area roughly 25 miles wide and 90 miles north to south! I would have recommended the Secret Cottage tour mentioned by Penmere but see that they have contracted with another company until next March. I have to say that in December I don't think Iwould bother visiting the Cotswolds - daylight is limited and I wouldn't take a tour on one of the large buses that cover a well trodden and very obvious path.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Day trip from London

I think there could be some value in an overnight visit before Christmas. Broadway was beautiful last year with lit trees, I imagine other villages were similarly illuminated. Might be able to find a community event over a week-end (Carol converts etc), or a Santa ride on the Steam railway etc.

Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Day trip from London

We just came back from a week in Southern England, Bath, Cotswolds and Oxford. From an American prospective, just my opinion, the Cotswolds are not worth the effort. Ok, Chipping Camden was lovely but Oxford was so much more interesting, Blenheim Palace and Churchill’s grave ment something. The Cotswolds are overdone, touristy and Americans have added to this. I might be walking off a cliff but that’s what I think.

california
Level Contributor
153 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Day trip from London

@bird k

That’s an interesting perspective. Thank you for your feedback. I will research more base on your suggestion.

Edited: 05 November 2018, 14:50
Reply to: Day trip from London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted