We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
60 reviews
Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Hi everyone, I am coming from Australia and looking to attend Fri and Sat night of Hartpury Dressage Festival next year dates 5 & 6 July. I beileve it's near Maisemore from the map. I need to rooms and some onsite decent pub/hotel meal for Friday night, or at least walking distance so we can have a wine or two! I looked at Wharf House and the Premier Inn (Longford) Gloucester? But am I missing places I should consider? Thanks.

16 replies to this topic
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Hi everyone, I have made 2 bookings for the moment and I am not feeling overly confident about either of them due reviews found here! They are: The Kings Head Inn and Ibis Gloucester (I am an Accor member). I thought Ibis might have had air-con but maybe not. These dates during 2018 had a heatwave going on, I prefer air-con if it's hot. Anyway, I am travelling with a friend so was able to book 2 rooms for the prices available. But I am still on the lookout, I can cancel these rooms. Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

OK, also booked myself one with Air-con. Best Western Plus Cheltenham Regency Hotel. The reviews on here were OK and they have air-con in the rooms I believe. Hopefully some feedback will arrive on here! This one is about 20mins drive away, but that's OK.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

You won't need air-con during a normal summer in the UK but may be grateful for it if we have a summer similar to this year which was very hot by UK standards. The Cheltenham Regency is some distance out of town so you would either need to eat in the hotel or get a taxi / bus into Cheltenham if you want a couple of drinks. It is a straightforward drive back to Hartpury from any of the hotels you have listed.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,574 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

So you now have three rooms booked, the parable of the dog and the manger comes to mind.

Edited: 28 October 2018, 22:30
Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Nearby Newent is a lovely little town/ big village which I've visited many times, but on booking.com I can't see any availability actuallly in the town those dates - possibly something to do with a dressage festival ......

However, the Kilcot Inn, 2 miles further west of Newent has 2 rooms, and good reviews, including for food. Have not been there myself, but from the research I'd prefer that to the ones you mention.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Also meant to say: as I usually stay in this sort of traditional hotel/inn, I don't think I've ever, in 40 years, stayed anywhere in the U.K. with air conditioning. It's not common, and will limit your choice considerably to the modern chain hotels if it's an essential requirement for you.

It's very, very rare for our weather to be uncomfortably hot!

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

As Keith says the Regency is on the outskirts of Cheltenham, in an anonymous area, no local pubs. The on-site restaurant is probably ok and there is a bar, convenient for A40 to Gloucester/ Hartpury. Don't think there's many places with air-con. A high probability of a wedding. Whilst I can't help with specific accommodation suggestions I think there'd be better places to stay central to Cheltenham (Montpellier) or in the area around Hartpury as suggested by Sonia, perhaps up to Tewkesbury. It would be preferable to stay west of the River Severn, Gloucester can be a bottleneck.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

Thanks everyone, I was wondering about Gloucester bottle neck problems. I will be driving from Hotel to College on a Friday late morning and also on a Saturday morning, if that's any help. I had better check out Tewkesbury. I would like somewhere that has decent food for breakfasts and dinner on the Friday night, where once I park at accomm I can access decent food, but decent pub food is OK as well. Something with known decent food ideal. I lived in Cirencester for the summer of 1987, but things seemed to have heated up since then!

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

I think the Wetherspoons pub the Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury would be a good place to stop

a very historic building very near to the Abbey

jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/glou…

Edited: 29 October 2018, 00:28
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
103 reviews
10. Re: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?

There shouldn't be any bottleneck problems around Gloucester at the times you are planning to travel, with the exception of the northern bypass between Longford and the Over roundabout. The Over roundabout is where you turn right towards Maisemore if coming from the general direction of Cheltenham. Even that will just be a bit slow rather than jammed up at that time of day.

There is a new Premier Inn opened at Gloucester Quays and there is a large range of pubs and restaurants at The Quays which may suit your requirements.

Although I live in Gloucester I have to admit there is little to commend the city to the visitor with the exception of The Quays area and the Cathedral. If you are only going to be there for a couple of days it will be fine. Access to Hartpury will also be very easy from that hotel.

Reply to: Good Pub/Hotel near Hartpury College?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted