We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Cotswold visit....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
167 reviews
First time Cotswold visit....

Hi, i was hoping someone could help and advise a family of 4 with a 16 & 12 yr old on an area to stay in the school holidays. We usually stay in rural Devon where we like to park the car up and spend the week walking and running with some sightseeing thrown in. Ideally we would like to stay near or in a small village with a pub or 2 within walking distance and walks on the door step, but near to some tourist sights.. I was going to look at Booking.com as well as TA.

With this being our first time I was hoping someone could give some advice on which is a good area to start for our first visit to this beautiful part of the world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks in advance..

8 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

The Slaughters - Upper or Lower - would fit the bill. Pretty villages in themselves but close to Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold. If you google you will find plenty of walks in that area too. On the northernmost edge of the Cotswolds the village of Ilmington has some cottages for rent and a good pub in the village and more good pubs nearby, with plenty of walks available. It is also only about nine miles into Stratford-upon-Avon, about the same to Broadway.

Edited: 28 October 2018, 08:57
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
167 reviews
2. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

Thank you so much, this helps a lot ...

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

There are two pubs in Ilmington

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

Absolutely right, Roger - I always seem to forget the Red Lion!

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

I rather like this website for 'at a glance' lists of things in the Cotswolds. This is the 'historic places' page, and there are others on towns and villages, activities, events calendar etc:

https://www.cotswolds.info/castles-romans-sh…

The official Cotswolds AONB website is good for walks, but I find it less clear on other things.

Northamptonshire...
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
1,626 reviews
6. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

Again I can highly recommend the beautiful village of Stanton.

Quite close to Broadway and situated about midway between Winchcombe( the corner cupboard pub for lunch)and Chipping Campden, the cotswolds way runs via the village.

This is a 100 miles plus walk which cuts through beautiful countryside from Chipping Campden to Bath.

May I add that Stanton has the excellent Mount Inn which serves good food.

Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

Also a community run shop and cafe in Ilmington

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
167 reviews
8. Re: First time Cotswold visit....

Thank you everyone, this is most helpful... I can't wait to visit now.. it sounds just perfect... :-)

Reply to: First time Cotswold visit....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted