We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in the Cotswolds

Havant, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Shopping in the Cotswolds

Hi

I wonder if you could assist. We are staying at the Fish Hotel in Broadway, Cotswolds for the weekend and I am looking for the best shopping places in that area. I like independent quaint shopping places but with a larger selection of shops. Happy with charity shops also.

Also if you know of any villages where shops are open on a Sunday please advise as that is one of the days we will be there.

Thank you in advance

10 replies to this topic
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

Is it this weeke-end, 28th? Suffolk Street in Cheltenham will have one of the intermittent markets. There is also a selection of independent shops and restaurants.

https:/…

There's quite a few shops in Broadway, mainly directed at Tourism, but some art and antique businesses. The adjacent towns such as Chipping Campden, Winchcombe, Moreton in Marsh are similar.

Cheltenham is by far the largest shopping centre in the area, but is dominated by chain stores, apart from The Suffolks as above, Bath Road and Montpellier.

Stroud is quite a distance from Broadway but has a large street market on Saturday and a number of independent shops.

http://shamblesmarketstroud.co.uk/

Tewkesbury may be of interest, with a Saturday market.

https://www.cotswoldmarkets.com/tewkesbury-1/

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

You want a town rather than a village - or at least a village like Bourton on the Water that's so big it feels like a (small) town. When will you be there? It makes a difference as in my village (by way of example) the only shop has now closed for the winter - let alone Sundays!

Burford is the obvious choice, followed by Stow on the Wold then Moreton (though that's less "upmarket" than the first two). General Sunday closing, particularly in the winter, is still a thing in many places - usually somewhere like the Co-Op will be open where there is one, but I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind. Even many of the antique shops don't open on a Sunday, which I've never quite got my head around given presumably they're relying on visitors to at least some extent.

Otherwise you probably need to go to Cheltenham, Oxford, Evesham, Witney, etc. It's a remote (in places very remote) area (I live in a village with a pub and a shop, 10 miles from the nearest ATM) where the locals have to drive quite a long way from their villages to do their shopping. If you want a larger selection of shops than about 4, then you need to go to one of the towns/cities around the edge, or Burford. Burford is excellent if you want tweed, decent shirts, or very expensive wellingtons. It's a bit short on some other categories.

It's lovely here, but it's not really a shopping destination.

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

What sort of items are you shopping for?

Apart from a few niche markets like expensive country clothing, folks tend to go OUT of the Cotswolds for shopping rather than into it. It's an area with a very dispersed population, and the main shopping places are in the centres of population , hence in the big towns round the edge of the rural Cotswolds.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
13,011 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

Not sure why one would visit the Cotswolds to go shopping, but the place to go is Cheltenham: my son lives there, and speaking as someone from Bath, it has a good range of shops of the type you are looking for.

Allegedly Bath is in the Cotswolds, though people from Bath wouldn't say so, despite the Cotswold Way beginning there. That's the place for small independent shops.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

From the Fish Hotel then Broadway is the obvious place - a range of inependent shops& close to your hotel. You will only get shops in the larger villages/small towns like Broadway (also Stow-on-the-Wold, Moreton-in-Marsh, Shipston-on-Stour) and the shopping experience is often more geared to local needs. You won't find large department stores or chain stores. Sadly these days small villages seldom have a shop and where they do exist they will be small, mainly offering food and other essentials. Some are community run e.g. Ilmington. If you want larger shops then Cheltenham would be your best bet.

Havant, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

Thank you

Quaint is what I am looking for and you have given some great ideas

We come in January

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,282 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

Quaint? The shops will be practical and serving locals above those of tourists particularly in the winter (except in the case of Bourton-on-the-Water). The Cotswolds is not some kind of Disneyland in the hills!

Edited: 27 October 2018, 05:18
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,379 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

IMHO, you're about to make a huge mistake. Cotswolds are gorgeous, but they're not a shopping destination to begin with.

If in your shoes, I'd go to the Cotswolds in order to enjoy the Cotswolds. Shopping - I'd plan somewhere else.

Yuri.

Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

How about the worst shopping near the Cotswolds? Would this work? Bichester Shopping Mall was the worst place on our tour of the area! Never have seen so many people trying to buy such overpriced stuff made in China.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,379 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Shopping in the Cotswolds

It was meant to be the Bicester Outlet Centre, in previous post. BOC is mainly about the very high end brands. Yuri.

Reply to: Shopping in the Cotswolds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted