We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Trail

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Oregon Trail

Where exactly in Biggs Junction can you see the ruts of the wagons that were on the Oregon Trail?

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1 post
1. Re: Oregon Trail

I would also like to know this. I have seen pictures of the ruts with a marker by it. You can tell that it is right by it is a major road with the river next to it. But, I can not find the spot on any map.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
1 review
2. Re: Oregon Trail

heres an article I found....

omaha.com/touching-ruts-on-the-oregon-trail/…

just a note. I don't remember where along I-84, but there is a turn out where its posted and I remember looking up along a hillside to see the ruts. there was a path cut into the trees and down a hillside. - if I remember correctly. We never hiked up there but saw them from a distance.

if you are heading that way, you may want to check this place out. ...

oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

we went there before it was well known and more touristy. but it still is a really cool place.

good luck

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
200 reviews
3. Re: Oregon Trail

A side note: you can also walk in the wagon ruts at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
4. Re: Oregon Trail

The Biggs Junction wagon ruts people often refer to are visible from I 84 and about 2 mikes west of Biggs Junction. You can see them on Google Earth.

You can also get to them on the Dufur Biggs highway which parallels 84, which allows you to see them at less than 65 mph.

Parkdale Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
5. Re: Oregon Trail

you can walk on them. but tread lightly on history, please. Biggs exit, south 97. right (West) on Biggs-Rufus Hwy 2.1 miles. marker will be on the left. Lovely walk up to the Arch Rock. The trail also runs off to the right of the trail marker. And below the arch

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
6. Re: Oregon Trail

Hi parkdale03, welcome. The initial post in this thread is from Sept of 2016. Apparently nobody answered (it happens on occasion) and the last post prior to yours is Nov of 2017.

In small, less busy forums we all try to remember look at the dates, since sometimes there are very few posts ;-)

Springfield...
1 post
7. Re: Oregon Trail

GPS coordinates

N 45 degrees, 39.2664’

W 120 degrees, 52.1884’

Reply to: Oregon Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Biggs Junction
Recent Conversations