We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Kharagpur, India
5 posts
Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

I will be travelling from India to the University of Waikato Hamilton for a conference and have booked a hotel near the University at Hamilton. However, my flight arrives at 11.35 PM at Auckland Airport. Other flights which arrive in the morning or afternoon have a very long layover of 12 hours at Singapore or Thailand. I am really confused which flight to go for.

Are there any hotels in Auckland that allow night time or early morning check-ins? That way I could spend the day in Auckland and leave for Hamilton the following day.

I could really use some advise. Thanks in advance.

9 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
11,174 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Any of the airport hotels will have late night/early morning check in available. There are several flights that arrive at that time.

Edited: 22 September 2018, 03:03
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
2. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Stay at the Novotel, it's about 50 metres from the airport terminal, it's so convenient.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

The IBIS Budget is also at the airport, but closer to the domestic terminal. IBIS have a shuttle bus.

If you decide not to stay in Auckland overnight, arrange with Aerolink shuttles to pick you up late at night/early morn at Auckland airport. This is the main shuttle service for Hamilton, Rotorua and Tauranga from Auckland international providing a round the clock service.

Kharagpur, India
5 posts
4. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Thank you. I was considering staying in Auckland overnight and doing some sightseeing the next day. In that case I guess I would have to book my hotel room for an extra day since I would be arriving at night, so overall I would be paying for two nights (the night of my arrival and the following night). What do you suggest?

Also would there be cabs available outside the airport at late hours?

Edited: 22 September 2018, 18:00
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,106 posts
451 reviews
5. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

If you have the time, 2N in AKL would be good. Choose accommodation downtown in that case rather than changing hotels. Taxis are always available at airports when flights are arriving.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

If you are planning to catch the Intercity bus from Auckland to Hamilton, any of the hotels located near the Skytower will be handy to walk to the bus terminal. Otherwise it's a short taxi ride uphill to the Hobson Street terminus.

Skybus operates between the airport terminals and the central city. They have a break about 2am to 4am, but you should be out of the terminal within an hour of arrival. Several hotels along Queen Street, beside the Skybus stops. But a taxi ride will get you to your hotel door at that late time of night. Safer option for a solo traveller, and with luggage too.

Kharagpur, India
5 posts
7. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Thanks a lot for the really valuable suggestions.

I will be accompanied by my Mom and was thinking of staying for a day in Auckland. Since we would be arriving at late at night, we could check in to a hotel, get some rest and then take a look around Auckland the next day, some local sightseeing.

And about reaching Hamilton I thought of taking a taxi. But as you suggested an intercity bus might be convenient and cheaper. Can the tickets be booked in advance?

Since I will be visiting in November I still have time to look at different options and plan out my trip, which I am trying to do.

Thank you once again for your suggestions.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 23:12
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
78 reviews
8. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Of course - intercity.co.nz. Stay in Skycity or nearby and your room might be above the bus "terminal". A taxi would cost a fortune!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland

Agree, a taxi from central Auckland to Hamilton will be a ridiculous price. No need to take a taxi, when the Intercity bus have several services from Auckland to Hamilton each day. Or there is Aerolink if you prefer small coaches and a personalised service. Both transport options can be booked in advance -

https://www.intercity.co.nz/

http://www.aerolink.nz/

Reply to: Travelling to Hamilton - Late night arrival at Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted