We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

2 posts
1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

My wife and I will be arriving in Auckland on March 18 at about 6 pm, staying one evening and heading to Fiji the next morning, flight leaving at 930. Since we are leaving on an international flight, we'll need to arrive back at the airport decently early. Taking this into consideration, we'd like to see more than the airport and a hotel for the evening. Any suggestions on what is close to the airport to see, even if just a dinner destination? Hotel recommendations also nearby?

4 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: 1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

Can recommend the NauMi hotel which has shuttle bus and full hotel facilities.

For dinner try Szimpla (google it - a quirky Kiwiana cafe/bar) - a short cab ride from NauMi.

With an ETD 9.30am suggest latest you get to Int'l terminal would be 7.30am.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: 1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

The restaurant in the Naumi is also pretty good with interesting options and, if you're lucky, they'll forget to add the drinks to the bill. I have also enjoyed the Post Office pub, which has a nice restaurant (https://www.postofficepublichouse.co.nz/) - you can access it by getting on the 380 bus as it heads towards the airport. It stops outside the Naumi and takes just 4 minutes (5 stops). Stay on a bit longer 3 more stops) and you'll be within 100 metres of the Szimpla.

2 posts
3. Re: 1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

Great info. Thank you both!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: 1 evening /night stop over in Auckland

Having stayed at a number of airport hotels and motels over the years, I return to the Holiday Inn hotel because of its outdoor space and landscaped gardens. It's a semi-industrial area, but safe to walk out of the hotel complex for exercise and fresh air.

The Vapor restaurant at Holiday Inn serves a good meal, with a la carte dinner menu and a hearty breakfast buffet. Nice bar for a drink and a chat to staff on duty. The hotel has a transfer coach, but that is an extra cost -

https://aucklandairport.holidayinn.com/

Reply to: 1 evening /night stop over in Auckland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland