We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland airport question

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
258 posts
74 reviews
Auckland airport question

Hi there,

We will be flying into Auckland's international airport (from Aus) but then need to get a flight to Queenstown. Obviously this will be a domestic flight...would this flight be from the same airport, just a different terminal, or a completely different airport?

I'm hoping we can get our baggage and then relatively easily check in for our next flight.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Auckland airport question

Just a different terminal. If you have cleared immigration and biosecurity more than an hour before your flight to Queenstown, you can leave your bags at the domestic transfer desk, which is at the beginning of the international check in area. You can then walk (10-15 minutes) or catch the free bus. If less than an hour is available, you'll need to take your bags with you, and walking will often be quicker than the free bus. Checkin closes (I think) 30 minutes before departure - this will be on your ticket.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
258 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Auckland airport question

Great! Thank you so much for the advice, it was really helpful.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
40,183 posts
450 reviews
3. Re: Auckland airport question

AKL recommends a connection time of 3 hr for safety. 2 hr would be absolute minimum if they are not on the same ticket. Assume 1 hr for CQI, although this should be quicker if you have an E-passport and no food or other items to declare to Biosecurity. Then you check your luggage as mentioned above at the transfer desk (1 hour required) and walk or take the shuttle bus across to the domestic terminal & go through security again (much lighter than International - you are actually allowed liquids, including duty free booze, in your carry-on luggage.

New York City
Level Contributor
66 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Auckland airport question

Stan's question just had me rechecking my own flight information. I'm flying from SFO, arriving AKL at 8:55 am. My connecting flight to Queenstown departs at 10:30 am. I expect to travel with only carry-on luggage, but possibly with candies and granola bars to declare. Is there any chance I will make my connecting flight? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Auckland airport question

I would be concerned about the granola bars. They may be fine if they are pre-packaged, but since they often have seeds in them, they could be subject to confiscation.

We had a similar connection time to your's a few years ago and made it just fine. We had checked luggage, but nothing to declare.

New York City
Level Contributor
66 posts
137 reviews
6. Re: Auckland airport question

Thank you, deSchenke. Confiscation I can deal with, jail not so much!

California
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Auckland airport question

As long as you declare it, you won't be subject to the $400 fine - but you may lose them in the process. Don't try to sneak them in, those cute little beagles will rat you out!

Then again, you may be fine if they are pre-packaged - but I don't see the need, the grocery stores in New Zealand are well stocked with those kinds of things.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
316 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Auckland airport question

I think that's a pretty tight connection. It could be fine, but all you need is a 20 minute delay on your flight then a slow trip through customs, and it starts to look a bit stressful. Do you have any options? Flights AKL-QTN are very frequent...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
219 reviews
9. Re: Auckland airport question

Is it all on 1 ticket? If so you are the airlines responsibility.

Pack your bars where they are easy to get at. The "something to declare" line can be quicker than the green one.

Edited: 29 August 2018, 21:04
Reply to: Auckland airport question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Auckland