We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muang Ngoi

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Muang Ngoi

I read that the town is turning into a party town like Vang Vieng. Is this true. Looking for idyllic village life with beautiufl location. (thanks)

16 replies to this topic
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muang Ngoi

Could you advise where you have heard that? Would be just interested.

When I was there two years ago they were very strict about noise - all bars had to close at 22:30, and the noise had to be reduced by 21:30, as most of the people living there had to get up very early.

I am there at the end of November, and really hope it is as idyllic as it was two years ago

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muang Ngoi

can't find the post i read was doing a search. Could of been footprinttravelguides.com. I contacted a expert that know the area, waiting to see what he has to say

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muang Ngoi

No it is not a party town at all. It does get relatively busy in Dec-Feb but nothing like Vang Vieng. I go to nearby Muang Khiaw regularly with work ad there are only a handful of people getting the boat to Ngoi each day.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
93 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Muang Ngoi

thank you so much. Do you know the best way to make arangements from Luang Prabang by boat to Muang Ngoi

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Muang Ngoi

I was there last week, definitely not a party town. It is still charming and quiet as described on the web, everything closes at 9:30 or 10 p.m.

There are bars and restaurants but no parties, just places to chill out and relax.

A must try is Vita Restaurant, its on the main road. Quiet little restaurant opposite from a very busy touristy one.

We chose to help out the little guy and it worked out, best food in Laos, good prices and definitely try the Flaming banana lao lao with honey. if its not on the menu, ask the Lady. She is very accommodating, more so than the already accommodating Lao people

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Muang Ngoi

You can't go by boat from Luang Prabang to Muang Ngoi, they are building dams on the Nam Ou. You travel from Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoi by boat, 45 minute trip, arranged at the boat office in NK.

7. Re: Muang Ngoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 00:09

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Muang Ngoi

Hey Aviatorram

That was a great read. Informative and enjoyable. I just changed my travel plan, AGAIN :-)

Is Muang ngoi accessible by road at all from Nong khiaw???

I am travelling on a dirt bike.

Regards,

Mark

Navi Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Muang Ngoi

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reading.

Yes Muang Ngoi is accessible by road, it takes about 3-3.5 hrs (since you would be on a dirt bike), however the dirt road that connects Nong Khiaw and Muang Ngoi is terrible, I did try doing this on a mountain bike, but eventually I gave up half way through , you would have to cross two rivers so be prepared for that, the flow won't be high as people often walk through this everyday. The road starts right opposite to Vongmany guest house in Nong Khiaw, you will be crossing 3 villages on the way they can direct you if you would need any assistance in navigating.

HAPPY TRAVELLING MATE, and hope you won't change your plan this time ;-)

Belgium
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Muang Ngoi

Is it possible to take a boat higher up north and arrive in Muang Ngoi ?

Maybe from Muang Khoua ?

Reply to: Muang Ngoi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Muang Ngoi Neua