We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer Road trip to PEI

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
96 posts
Summer Road trip to PEI

Hi there! We're excitedly planning a road trip from North New Jersey to PEI over the Fourth of July weekend for our family of four, including our 9-year-old kids. We're thinking of starting early in the morning, stopping for a night in Portland, ME, and making another night stop before reaching PEI. Any suggestions from the forum members on great places to stop, explore for a few hours, and then get back on the road? We initially considered flights, but the summer prices are quite steep. Thanks for any advice!

5 replies to this topic
West Chester...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
13 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Summer Road trip to PEI

Sparkle

We have done this trip via Warren County many times. Below is how we get to PEI.... I hope you have EZPass a lot of tolls!

Your GPS/Phone will want you to go via the George Washington Bridge not a good idea so below is how we avoid this.

Take I287 north towards the Tappan Zee Bridge stay on 287 to the Hutchinson River Parkway turns into the Merritt Parkway Route 15 north to I91 north Hartford. To I 84 to the Mass Turnpike (90) your gps will want you to get off at I290, stay on the Mass Pike and get off on I 495 Exit 11A to I 95 north into Maine. Take I 295 around Portland and stay on 295 until joins 95.

When you get to Bangor , Me your gps will want you to take route 1. It is less miles BUT it is stop and go lights with many sections are a single lane highway. 95 above Bangor the speed limit is 75 mph with many doing 90mph!!

Take 95 north to the Canadian border. Stop for gas at exit 302 Houlton make a left at the bottom of the ramp gas stations on the left and right. Gas in Canada is $6-7 per gallon so top off.

Next is Canadian customs get your passport ready.

Take 2 to 16 to the Confederation Bridge.

We normally drive 2 days up stopping in Bangor, Me.

Please let me know what you like to do while on PEI and what area you plan to stay in. Are your kids into Anne of Green Gables?

Tom

West Chester...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
13 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Summer Road trip to PEI

You could take 1 in Me into New Brunswick, Canada and check out Hopewell Provincial Park and see the tides change from low to high tide. The tidal range for the Bay of Fundy is 38 – 52 feet. The tides here are higher than anywhere else in the world. Other countries have an average tidal range of about 3 feet. Definitely check the tide schedule to see high and low tides, see link.

https://www.parcsnbparks.info/en/parks/33/hopewell-rocks-provincial-park

https://mybeautifulpassport.com/hopewell-rocks-tides/

Tom

Edited: 17 February 2024, 06:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17,186 posts
997 reviews
614 helpful votes
3. Re: Summer Road trip to PEI

Magnetic Hill near Moncton

West Chester...
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
13 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Summer Road trip to PEI

Have you looked into flying into Halifax, Nova Scotia and driving to PEI, it’s about a 4 hour drive to the island ? I believe they have direct flights from Newark to Halifax. Our daughters visit us all the time and fly via Halifax.

Tom

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
39 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Summer Road trip to PEI

Overnight in a caboose! Eat in the dining car. Fun little village with selection of eateries. Trans Canada walking trail directly beside the Train Station Inn.

https://www.tatatrainstation.com/rooms

Would extend your second day 2 drive about 1.5 hours compared to stopping in Moncton. But same distance on Day 3 to get to the Confederation Bridge to PEI. Adds another province to your trip

https://www.novascotia.com/places-to-go/regions/northumberland-shore/tatamagouche

Reply to: Summer Road trip to PEI
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.