We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dream Catcher Express vs Driving

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
Dream Catcher Express vs Driving

We will be in North Bay area around Oct 2nd or so and wondering if we should take the train tour or driving up to Temagami area. Is the train route along the highway as well? If we take the train, we will have about 4 hours on our own in Temagami and if we don't have the car, is it easy to get around sites? Or is it better to drive up there so we can stop by more places? How are the foliage there right now? Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Dream Catcher Express vs Driving

Hi Charles-IA,

Welcome to the NORTH BAY TRAVEL FORUM.

And as I see you are a NEW Member to TripAdvisor’s FORUMS, a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

To be clear, I have not done the train between North Bay & Temagami… But I am somewhat familiar with both locations having visited them on summer camping trips etc.

By using GOOGLE MAPS one can clearly see that the rail-route that connects the two does not follow along Hwy 11 / the Trans-Canada Highway BUT rather runs farther to the EAST around various lakes and alongside two Provincial Parks (the WEST side of both Widdifield Forest & Jocko Rivers Provincial Parks).

When it comes to the highway (Hwy 11) this is the “Northern Route” of the Trans-Canada, and to be honest there isn’t a lot between North Bay & Temagami… a drive of aprox 100 Kms and 1-1/2 Hours. Although a car would give you more flexibility… this is one instance where I think the train route is probably the best bet of the two… first off you’ll be in the countryside away from the highway, and skirting along many lakes etc… with natural vistas that you won’t be able to get to / see from the car. And according to my reading, the train has a dome car, so great for taking photos. (Especially, look for opportunities where you can get pictures of the leaves reflected back in still waters as well… the effect is particularly stunning).

Temagami isn’t a very big place (less 1000 residents) BUT again based on my reading about the Dream Catcher Express, there are some organized activities that you can do while in the area… that may be worth investigating further.

You can learn more about the Dream Catcher Express by looking at their Website = ontarionorthland.ca/en/…dreamcatcher.html

Also as Canadians are the largest contributors to Wikipedia, I often-times find it a wonderful resource for learning about Destinations and things (especially so if they are Canadian)… so you might want to check out these Wikipedia entries as well…

*NOTE – Wikipedia of course is a great resource for “general” info… it should also be backed up with info from other sources such as Town / City Websites etc.

Wikipedia – Dream Catcher Express = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Catcher_Express

Wikipedia – North Bay Railway Station = …wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Bay_railway_station

Wikipedia – Temagami Railway Station = …wikipedia.org/wiki/Temagami_Railway_Station

Wikipedia – North Bay = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Bay,_Ontario

Wikipedia – Temagami = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temagami,_Ontario

As for the current situation with Leaf Change and Foliage Colours you’ll find both of these Websites useful…

Ontario Parks – Fall Colour Report = www.parkreports.com/fall/

Ontario Tourism – Fall Colour Report = ontariotravel.net/publications/fallcolourrep…

Both of these above Reports are stating that the current colour change in the area is just about the mid-way point… and so should be PRIME for next weekend / beginning of October.

The Ontario Tourism – Fall Colour Report expresses the percentage of change in numbers and words… whereas the Ontario Parks – Fall Colour Report is far more visual. As of today (Saturday, September 25, 2010) if you look at the Ontario Parks – Fall Colour Report you can clearly see that the small “patch” that represents Algonquin Park is a sea of red in contrast to the surrounding yellow. North Bay and Temagami are in that yellow region… and should show change in the upcoming week.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 26 September 2010, 07:24
2. Re: Dream Catcher Express vs Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about North Bay